Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I`ve been a lurker on this forum for more than a year now (this account was made some time after i found this forum) and this is my first post.
I`m 19 and this car is my first and so far only car:

The car cost me almost 30000 $ here in Norway. The car was imported from the US a few months before I bought it and it probably cost the seller only around 10000 $ (without shipping and inspections and +25% to the state and all that crap) I will write more about the car in another thread sometime later. It`s in a lot of small pieces right now:lookinup:

Have any of you bought brake lines or fuel lines from zip? or another parts vendor? When we (me and my father) lifted the body of the frame we found the original brake lines and fuel lines to be rusted. There was many minor spots of rust here and there on the pipes, but they looked really bad just in front of the rear wheels so we decided to replace them. The brake line going between the rear wheels was completely flat on the side of the crossmember which probably explains why the brakes were always whining.

I bought all the brake lines and all the fuel lines in stainless steel from zip. But none of the lines fit right out of the box and all of them had to be modified a lot. The fuel lines (all three) had a few bends too much and and some were missing completely. one of the bends was even bent the wrong way. All the fuel lines were pretty good lenght wise after after we (actually my father) bent them like the originals.

But the brake line from that sensor or whatever it is and to the left rear wheel was an inch or so too long. We don`t have the equipment to cut the pipes so we had to "excaggerate" the bends a little bit to make it fit properly. While I was at work today, my father fit the brake line going between the rear wheels and he said that pipe was also too long and had to be bent similarly to make them fit properly. The other brake lines haven`t been installed yet, but we will do so before we drop the body. Maybe next week.

So I wanted to hear if anyone had experienced anything similar. And if you`re planning on replacing your brake lines or fuel lines, don`t expect them to just bolt in like we did. They needed a lot of work:bang.

I`m Norwegian, please excuse my sorry attempt at "englishing". Here are more pictures of the car: http://s926.photobucket.com/home/jet1991

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That's a great looking Corvette.

I have had a few hard line fitment issues but not as bad as you're describing. It is probably not ZIP specific though because most vendors buy parts from the same manufacturers.

It could be mislabeling, maybe a bad run of parts...

...either way, sorry to hear you had so many issues. My experience with ZIP has all been super positive.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
I think you should contact a Zip representative about the issues you had. Even if they don't end up doing anything for you it's helpful to a vendor to have that kind of feedback on their product quality. And if they have really good customer service you might come out way ahead :thumbsup:

Let us know how it all turns out because I'm in the market for some new brake lines myself.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, will do. And the Corvette wasn`t great looking. surface rust on the frame hidden by tectyl (do you Americanss know what tectyl is?) and a bad paintjob. + a ill fitting carpet and seat covers + body sitting an inch higher on one side + ill fitting t-tops + one of the rims is a repo and not a very good one. + a lot more. Most of these issues are being fixed right now. But my friends drive old Volvos and does not get why I`m going to restore a car that`s still so good looking :rolleyes:.

EDIT: sent a mail to zip complaining about those lines. Will update you when i get a reply. And I found this on zip-corvette.com: "All lines are prebent to the factory shape to ensure a perfect fit every time." and Note: Front to rear brake lines include an additional bend for shipping purposes only. Once the item has arrived, the additional bend can be removed and the line will fit your Corvette correctly. The shippoing bends were easy to bend correctly again but there was a lot more wrong with them.

·
Supporting Vendor
19 Posts
I have not seen the email yet, but this does not sound good.
Sometimes there are some small issues with lines but not what you are describing. For you to have all your lines not fit it extremely unusual, to the point that I have never had a case where that has happened. The stainless usually come as a kit and not individual lines we pull, was the box labeled for your year car. Some of the lines are the same for the majority of the car span, like the rear crossover you said is too long. I personally just installed one of those two weeks ago and it was good. Since the body of the car is off can you send some pictures of what you have and lets go from there, we will get your situation figured out.
Justin

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not seen the email yet, but this does not sound good.
Sometimes there are some small issues with lines but not what you are describing. For you to have all your lines not fit it extremely unusual, to the point that I have never had a case where that has happened. The stainless usually come as a kit and not individual lines we pull, was the box labeled for your year car. Some of the lines are the same for the majority of the car span, like the rear crossover you said is too long. I personally just installed one of those two weeks ago and it was good. Since the body of the car is off can you send some pictures of what you have and lets go from there, we will get your situation figured out.
Justin
I don`t think the lines had any labels but the "shipping bend" labels, but the pick ticket says the brake lines are a kit for 75 - 82 c3s. The fuel lines are listed induvidually but I bought them as a set from your page. According to the pick ticket all lines should fit the car. All the lines came in one box along with some more stuff.

Before we installed the fuel\brake lines, we compared them to the original ones and found them to be completely wrong. I`m not really shure but I don`t think those lines would have fit any Corvette. We still haven`t installed the brake lines going to the front wheels.

This is the pick ticket I`m talking about. Is pick ticket the correct name? It says so in the top right corner. I`m sorry about the quality. I took the picture with my 5 year old cell phone (w810i), it`s the only camera I have.

The fuel lines fit pretty good after we (my father) bent them. But the brake lines were a little bit too long (an inch or so for the line between that sensor or whatever it is and the rear wheels). I don`t think we have any pictures of the lines from before we bent and installed them but I can get some pictures of the lines installed on the car tomorrow.

EDIT: I didn`t buy the fuel lines as a kit. Your page says the fuel lines should only have one shipping bend. But the lines I got had either 2 or 3. All of them were marked with "shipping bend" stickers.

·
Supporting Vendor
19 Posts
Cant really see any detail in your picture of the reciept, but that does not mean anything if you got the wrong parts. The lines we sell fit perfect on most cars, allot of cars have had other work or not stock items on there which sometime can cause problems. So if you don't have a camera lets start by looking at my website, do the parts you have match the pictures of the parts we list on the website. We didn't get our business where it is today by selling parts that do not fit. So there is obviously and issue here that needs to be looked at deeper. There is no telling what has been done to this car, that is why pictures would help me greatly, but match them on our website first and let me know what we have. Also please email me, that way I see it and not having to come back and check here to see if you have posted. You can post the results here when we are done, but I am very busy and don't have allot of time to check forum threads.
Thanks
Justin

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Justin - Thanks so much for taking care of the customer.

This is the kind of thing a lot of businesses miss and it makes a big difference when we see extra effort that goes into making sure every customer is taken care of.

I've done a lot f business with Zip, and will continue to do so.

Great work. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been buying all the parts for a recent rebuild from Zip. Overall the service and pricing and parts have been very good. But, I also had a full set of stainless brake and fuel lines i purchased from them in the past year for a 1972. The fit on almost all the lines was fair to poor and every one needed some rebending.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today we installed the last brake lines. The brake lines for the front wheels fit pretty good and needed just a little bit of tweaking.

Here is the additional bend we had to make on the front -rear brake line:

Here you can see the same line fits perfectly at the other end:

This bend was 90 degrees wrong:

Dont pay attention at the last bends. Those looked a lot better when we installed the tank. But look on top of the frame :

After we installed the tank. The lines have one bend too much in the middle of the picture:

The grey stuff on top of the frame is just dust. These pictures sghow only the worst part after we (well... he) spent an whole day day bending and reshaping the lines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts