Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I am a member of the in a hurry, oops forgot to the latch the roof club:crazy: . It ejected quite impressively at about 50mph and broke upon hitting the asphalt.

110 days later, both Chevy customer service and my dealer have told me that we are waiting for GM to contract a manufacturer to make a new roof for my 02 coupe.

First it was a 30 day wait. after 30, they said to wait another 60, now it is indefinite.

Car is driveable, but the roof is now starting to leak with all the rain we have had in Houston. I need a mag red roof panel asap and may have to resort to filing complaints with the BBB and state attorney general's office. Last resort is to have my lawyer brother contact thier legal department and try to get someone's attention to get me a new roof and explain why they don't stock parts for a car that is only 5 years old, and a model that is only 3 years old

So, I welcome your suggestions and experiences with this type of crap.

Thanks for your time.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Why are they at fault? If they didn't have the product then go to a different vendor. More than one company sells roof panels. Try Astro tops or Melrose. They have them in stock and I would bet cheaper too.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
you could pick up a glass roof for around 500 bucks to get you by for now. second try ebay for a painted roof and have it repainted. suing will cost you money and you cant sue when its your fault. glass roof is the fastes and cheapest way to go for a immediate fix.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't blame them for my own stupidity. I do blame them for promising to deliver an item and not following it through. I will find the websites for the places you mentioned and see what they can do for me.

Thanks for the post

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I don't blame them for my own stupidity. I do blame them for promising to deliver an item and not following it through. I will find the websites for the places you mentioned and see what they can do for me.

Thanks for the post
Do they already have your money? If not I don't think you can sue for someone being lazy. If so go get your money back and tell them to piss up a rope. If only one good thing comes of this that will be you now know not to deal with that crappy dealer. Good luck.

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
I don't blame them for my own stupidity.
Than a lawsuit has no place for this discussion.

Complaining to BBB and State's Attorney is unfair to the dealer, they told you they were waiting on the item up front. These things happen all the time from grocery items to video games. The dealer didn't damage your top, they aren't held to any responsibility.

I do blame them for promising to deliver an item and not following it through.
Then go elsewhere, they'll lose your business. I do that ALL the time when shopping for misc stuff.

You could have always surfed the forums, EBAY, etc for a top from another '02. Plenty of options here.

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Sue Chevrolet? You can buy a top on ebay for $600. A lawsuit will cost you $10's of thousands and never worth it.

Your top was 5 years old, buy another 5 year old top and have a shop paint it for $200.

You'll have a new top, in your color, and you can go on with your life.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sue Chevrolet? You can buy a top on ebay for $600. A lawsuit will cost you $10's of thousands and never worth it.

Your top was 5 years old, buy another 5 year old top and have a shop paint it for $200.

You'll have a new top, in your color, and you can go on with your life.
:agree:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have successfully sued GM twice in the last 7 years.
The first time was after I bought my 2000 Camaro SS, I orderd it and after a few months the trans went out on me. Brought it to dealer I got it from and they fixed it. 2 weeks later same thing, trans went. This happened 4 times.
On the 4th time GM refused to fix it again, even though the car had 3,000 miles on it and still had the warranty.

I sued them and got lawyers for a suite under the lemon law. Abotu a year later GM settled with me out of court, they fixed the trans for free, and gave me $5,000 for my troubles.

Then I purchased a 2004 Silverado SS brand new off the showroom. In 2005 the roof started to rust on me. I contacted the dealer and brought it to the bodyshop they wanted me to go through for a quote. GM called the dealer and told them they wont fix it. GM has a 100,000 mile 6 year rust warranty. They wouldnt honor it, so I calle dup the same lawyers Krohn and Moss.

Sued GM once again, and just won my case 2 months ago. Again they settled out of court, paid for my attorney fees,court costs, the repair on the truck to repaint the entire roof, and ave me $2,000 for my troubles.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I have successfully sued GM twice in the last 7 years.
The first time was after I bought my 2000 Camaro SS, I orderd it and after a few months the trans went out on me. Brought it to dealer I got it from and they fixed it. 2 weeks later same thing, trans went. This happened 4 times.
On the 4th time GM refused to fix it again, even though the car had 3,000 miles on it and still had the warranty.

I sued them and got lawyers for a suite under the lemon law. Abotu a year later GM settled with me out of court, they fixed the trans for free, and gave me $5,000 for my troubles.

Then I purchased a 2004 Silverado SS brand new off the showroom. In 2005 the roof started to rust on me. I contacted the dealer and brought it to the bodyshop they wanted me to go through for a quote. GM called the dealer and told them they wont fix it. GM has a 100,000 mile 6 year rust warranty. They wouldnt honor it, so I calle dup the same lawyers Krohn and Moss.

Sued GM once again, and just won my case 2 months ago. Again they settled out of court, paid for my attorney fees,court costs, the repair on the truck to repaint the entire roof, and ave me $2,000 for my troubles.
So, yes you can sue GM and win, IF YOU HAVE A GOOD CASE, I don't think you have a case, tops are available on e-bay, find one there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts