Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have noticed a reacuring problem with the hydralic lifts in my hatch not wanting to close.They make a creaking noise and are very hard to make work. Find myself pumping the hatch slowly to get them to work right. The pumping seems to work but I wonder if they need some oil or something?Has anyone else ever had this problem?:huh:

PS always use the door button to open the hatch and it opens like a rocket. Usually jump back there and hold the glass so it does not open so quickly.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Michael Malone Smith said:
Have noticed a reacuring problem with the hydralic lifts in my hatch not wanting to close.They make a creaking noise and are very hard to make work. Find myself pumping the hatch slowly to get them to work right. The pumping seems to work but I wonder if they need some oil or something?Has anyone else ever had this problem?:huh:

PS always use the door button to open the hatch and it opens like a rocket. Usually jump back there and hold the glass so it does not open so quickly.
Interesting. If they were toast, the hatch glass would slam down. But, it does sound like they are dry as a bone. I'm not sure what lubricant you'd want to use. Hopefully someone can recommend something.

I use WD-40 on my radio antenna, sometimes it gets stuck up or down. But, the WD-40 seems to attract a lot of grime.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, yhats what I thought also about them. Its really just the oppisite off slamming down. They go up like a rocket. Hope someone has a remendy

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have used a few drops of sewing machine oil on mine when they did that. It has been 6 months since and they still are working great!:D

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
BlackRoseC4 said:
I have used a few drops of sewing machine oil on mine when they did that. It has been 6 months since and they still are working great!:D
BlackRoseC4,

Thank you for the tip! And, welcome to digitalcorvettes. :buhbye:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Try to use a dry lubricant, like graphite, it won't attract as much dirt as oil, or WD40 :)

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
WD-40 evaporates to quickly your better off using 3 in 1 oil then wiping off the excess. I also like the sewing machine oil idea.
I wouldn't replace them sounds like they still have alot of compression.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks to you all......I'll go earle them in the a.m.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts