Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger side closes perfectly.

The drivers side however, I have to slam it hard for it to close. If I close it lightly, it'll just close partially. I have to really push it hard to close all the way. The alignment looks good all the way around. I looked at the striker and tried to adjust with no luck. I also applied grease, etc and no change.

Any ideas? I looked at the AIM and also did a search.

:huh:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
New weatherstrip?

·
Registered
332 Posts
my 79 was the same and it was because the door striker pin on body has a rubberized sleeve on it. The sleeve rubber fell out making it very sloppy, which i fixed with sikaflex.(silacone goo) . Made it close very nice for a couple of years but looks like that is falling out also. Might braze it up this time.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
You can adjust the striker bolt if it's out of alignment, and it can be replaced of the bushing that's on it is worn out.

It's also a good idea to look at if the hinge pins and bushings need to be replaced. If the door is sagging at all the striker bolt isn't going to line up with your door latch.

Finally, use a screw driver to test your door latch and make sure it's catching as it's supposed to be. If not consider pulling it, cleaning it up, or possible replacing and re-adjusting it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions of things to try. Everything 'looks' to be ok, but something has to be worn out. The door doesn't sag, which means I just might have to start replacing parts to determine what/where the issue is.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions of things to try. Everything 'looks' to be ok, but something has to be worn out. The door doesn't sag, which means I just might have to start replacing parts to determine what/where the issue is.

See if that bushing on the striker bolt it intact and rolls smoothly. That can cause some problems with how the door closes. I replaced by of mine and saw immediate improvement.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had the same problem with my drivers door. Everything looked good and appeared to be aligned but I noticed that with the door open if I put a few fingers under the upper edge of the door behind the outside latch, I could lift the door upward a little bit.

Replaced the door pins and bushings, problem solved. Not the easiest job to do alone but it can be done. I used an A-frame ladder as my assistant over the door with a rachet tie down strap going from the ladder under the door and back up the other side to the ladder creating a craddle along with a floor jack. Unbolted the door hinges and moved the door 6-8 inches away from the car, popped out the bushings and pins then moved the door back and bolted everything up. Took about 2 hours with the never done this before learning curve.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the same problem with my drivers door. Everything looked good and appeared to be aligned but I noticed that with the door open if I put a few fingers under the upper edge of the door behind the outside latch, I could lift the door upward a little bit.

Replaced the door pins and bushings, problem solved. Not the easiest job to do alone but it can be done. I used an A-frame ladder as my assistant over the door with a rachet tie down strap going from the ladder under the door and back up the other side to the ladder creating a craddle along with a floor jack. Unbolted the door hinges and moved the door 6-8 inches away from the car, popped out the bushings and pins then moved the door back and bolted everything up. Took about 2 hours with the never done this before learning curve.

That's a damn good idea!

I'm going to have to try that one out, thank you!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hey Steve cant Hep on this But Nice looking Vette.. Love the 73's..

I Usto Live in Flowermound Now Im in Ft. worth... Give me a shout any time. Went to a couple of Shows in Frisco Nice City..

Daniel

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Raise up on the door when you shut it, if it latches your hing pins are worn.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Steve cant Hep on this But Nice looking Vette.. Love the 73's..

I Usto Live in Flowermound Now Im in Ft. worth... Give me a shout any time. Went to a couple of Shows in Frisco Nice City..

Daniel

Thanks Daniel, look forward to meeting you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Raise up on the door when you shut it, if it latches your hing pins are worn.
Great suggestion. I'll have to wait until I'm back in town on Thursday to try it out. Looking forward to seeing if this might be the issue. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts