Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 99 F-body LS1 with a MS3 cam to put in my 91 Vette . My engine and trans(700R4) are both toast so I figure it is a great time for the swap.
Please don't tell me to do a search. I have read a lot about it.
My question are:
Will the F-body accessories work well with the swap?
What kind of problems am i going to run into?
Most of the swaps I have read about are old and outdated or a different config. Is there any new info you could share?

If you have useful info don't hold back. :cheers:

Please if you don't have anything positive to add don't bother posting.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I love my car, if I ever get another C-4 it is the first thing I will do to it. I am getting ready to put a T-56 from a 2000 WS6 behind my LS right now I have a 700r4. That works well I just want a 6 speed now. I would say do it...no doubt.
Also you won't be able to use the F-body acc. to my knowledge. I tried to use an F-body ps pump and alt but neither worked out so I'm running all Vette acc.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Bought a new coverter (I went big 3600) to bolt it up, Bow tie overdrives TV cable hit and bought a painless lock up kit. Easiest part of the swap. I did it at the time to save money when I did the swap.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Is there any welding/cutting to be done with an LS swap? I would LOVE to do this as well.:crazy:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Nope, you can buy motor plates that allow you to bolt the motor right in. If you retain the 700R4 you have to slot the C-beam bolts (I forgot about that earlier, sorry) but there isn't any fabrication required.

·
Registered
386 Posts
:surprised:surprised:surprised NO FAB??? :surprised:surprised:surprised I'm on that!!!!

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
If you haven't already, check out my thread that I've been updating as I get work done. It's not technically a "true" LS1 swap, but alot of the things I have to do to make it work in the C4 you will run into yourself. I have a list of everything I bought, where I bought it from and how much it has cost me to date too if you are interested. Raidmagic's swap and my brothers swap inspired me to do mine!

Raidmagic, in order to use the 700R4 I agree with everything you posted that needs to be done in order to make the trans hook up to the engine, but is it necessary to go with a larger torque converter? I thought the stock one will work. (Sorry if I asked this already, the winter fried my brain lol)

Thread: http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141825

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
I have looked at yours .. I hope I don't have problems with the WS wiper motor.
I must have missed the parts list. :cheers:

I was going to post the parts list after the swap was complete, I'll PM it to you tonight though :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Raidmagic, in order to use the 700R4 I agree with everything you posted that needs to be done in order to make the trans hook up to the engine, but is it necessary to go with a larger torque converter? I thought the stock one will work. (Sorry if I asked this already, the winter fried my brain lol)
]
No you don't have to go larger that was a choice but the converter for the LS swap has spacers welded to it to make up the difference between the LS and gen I small block differences. The LS motors don't have the webbing on the rear of the block like the traditional small blocks do.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have someone interested in My HSR and heads. They might also want the harness and PCM. Do I need to keep any of that stuff for the swap?

·
Registered
424 Posts
advance adapters makes a kit that lets you use a regular 700r4 torque converter (or th400 or th350) and bolt it to an LS engine. It comes with a flywheel thats drilled with two different bolt patters and a pilot hub spacer that goes into the crankshaft. i used one on a 5.3 swap in a 97 chevy pickup and it worked great.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ADD-712500A/

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
No you don't have to go larger that was a choice but the converter for the LS swap has spacers welded to it to make up the difference between the LS and gen I small block differences. The LS motors don't have the webbing on the rear of the block like the traditional small blocks do.
Thank you great wise one :cheers::D

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
advance adapters makes a kit that lets you use a regular 700r4 torque converter (or th400 or th350) and bolt it to an LS engine. It comes with a flywheel thats drilled with two different bolt patters and a pilot hub spacer that goes into the crankshaft. i used one on a 5.3 swap in a 97 chevy pickup and it worked great.

You can also use the stock dished flywheel from the 5.3 engine and elongate the stock torque converter bolt holes like I did. Then you just need to install the spacer which you an buy separately for like $10 and you're done.

Cool link though I've never seen that "kit" :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
You can also use the stock dished flywheel from the 5.3 engine and elongate the stock torque converter bolt holes like I did. Then you just need to install the spacer which you an buy separately for like $10 and you're done.

Cool link though I've never seen that "kit" :thumbsup:
Yep that is doable although I'm not a fan of elongating flexplate holes and I wanted a larger converter. That kit Colthard shows wasn't around when I did my swap, at least I never saw it.:laughing:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

That takes care of the Trans fitment ...Thanks :partyon:
What about the TV cable is there a braket for that?

1 - 20 of 212 Posts