Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
I have not.

It is not recommended, but there are some knock sensors that will retard the timing to run **** gas if that is all that is available.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Originally posted by Destro ...<br>
Just curious if anyone runs their Z, or has tried 87 before...<br>
I've had occasion with C4s where 91 octane was unavilable and I was forced to use 87 or walk. This generally occurred in small towns off the beaten path in the west and southwest where there is no demand for 91, or even 89, so all they stock is 87 and diesel fuel (for the farm equipment). I have not had to deal with this issue with my LS6.

The PCM senses the octane and will not permit spark advance sufficient to cause detonation. The engine operates normally except for a noticeable loss of torque which limits acceleration.

While using 87 octane on a regular basis is not recommended, emergency use will not harm anything and when you are able to get 91 octane back into the tank the average octane will rise until you are back up to 91. If this occurs suddenly you will notice initial rough operation until all the fuel mappings have been re-registered in NVRAM.

See your owners manual. If you want a source for more technical information see Corvette Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Management by Charles O. Probst ISBN 0-8376-0861-9. The Service Manual for your vehicle also contains more detailed information on this topic.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Never tried it.

Like RT66Z06 has mention maybe in an "emergency" but I wouldn't get an entire take of gas. Just so I can get to the next gas station.

:cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts