Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello again
cruising through the threads and I thought I would ask a question thats been bugging me... I bought my car in 1989
L-82 4 speed with 45,963 miles on it, as of today it's 71,xxxx
yea I no, It dont get out much.. but About 10 or so years ago, I replaced the rear bumper with an aftermarket one.
before I get to the point, when I bought my car, I always wondered why it sat higher in the front and rear than most C3 vettes, until I removed the bumper and found a towing hitch.. I thought this cant be.. I looked in some catalogs and found that they do make them for corvettes.. how would I know if that was factory, I still have it, would there be numbers on it?
( the original L-82 motor sits down my basement, inplace of it is a stroker)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
No there was never a Corvette made with a factory trailering package. There are a few individuals out there that "customized" their Vette to tow things, but that was never the intended purpose of the Vette. The previous owner added the trailer hitch from an after market manufacture for some reason.

You will NEVER find a RPO for a trailering package!

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
yep, you're not the only one whose 'vette has been used to tow something. Some guys rig up little trailers to throw a set of track tires on to take to track days.

While replacing my gas tank I found a trailer light pigtail tucked up under my bumper. No signs of the actual hitch, but it was obviously wired up to tow.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
1977 corvette rpo zn1 trailer package 289 made cost83.00 and i have one .
wow, learn something new every day. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, you're not the only one whose 'vette has been used to tow something. Some guys rig up little trailers to throw a set of track tires on to take to track days.

While replacing my gas tank I found a trailer light pigtail tucked up under my bumper. No signs of the actual hitch, but it was obviously wired up to tow.
thanks..
I am sure, I remember back in 80 or 81 the first time I seen a macko shark vette, towing a funny car on a trailer.. the funny car matched the color of the vette..

Originally Posted by grn77
1977 corvette rpo zn1 trailer package 289 made cost83.00 and i have one .

how do you find out if your car was equipped with this from the factory, and how many were installed?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Trailer Towing Pkg.

Here is a copy of the option list off of my 1981
Coupe. Please note the last item.
It shows the code, description and amoumt made.​

Mine also has a light behind the license plate inside the bumper, to light up underneath the Vette so the spare tire carrier can be seen at night
Hope this helps you out.​

I have actually seen a guy on the Garden State Parkway , in New Jersey, in a Vette, towing a trailer with two jet skis
on it. To each his own, I guess........:WTF​

CodeDescriptionQuantity1YY87Base Corvette Sport Coupe40,606AU3Power Door Locks36,322A42Power Driver Seat29,200CC1Removable Glass Roof Panels29,095C49Rear Window Defroster36,893DG7Electric Sport Mirrors13,567D84Two Tone Paint5,352FE7Gymkhana Suspension7,803F51Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers1,128G92Performance Axle Ratio2,400K35Cruise Control32,522MM44 Speed Manual Transmission5,757N90Aluminum Wheels (4)36,485QGRWhite Letter Steel Belted Tires P225/70R15 21,939QXHWhite Letter Steel Belted Tires P225/60R15 18,004UL5Radio Delete315UM4AM/FM Radio Stereo 8 Track8,262UM5AM/FM Radio Stereo With 8 Track And CB792UN6AM/FM Radio Stereo With Cassette22,892UN5AM/FM Radio Stereo With Cassette And CB2,349U58AM-FM Radio Stereo5,145U75Power Antenna32,903V54Roof Panel Carrier3,303YF5California Emissions Certification4,951 (ZN1 Trailer Package 916)

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
First off, I don't have a jetski and I'm no longer in NJ - just in case you think the funky dude is Fluffy yet again.

Second what's the matter with a trailering something? You think the engine doesn't have the power or the brakes the ability to stop the car?

The main issue is going to be the tongue weight that you shouldn't exceed in order to not damage the leaf spring.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
No there was never a Corvette made with a factory trailering package...
Yes there was. The trailer package was an option for certain model years. You got rear air shocks, a hitch, and a little compressor for the air shocks.

A hitch for the Corvette was usually available through the dealership as a dealer option.

MadVett: do you have your tank sticker, a copy of your window sticker, or a copy of the dealer invoice? If your hitch was factory, it will be listed on the documentation.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes there was. The trailer package was an option for certain model years. You got rear air shocks, a hitch, and a little compressor for the air shocks.

A hitch for the Corvette was usually available through the dealership as a dealer option.

MadVett: do you have your tank sticker, a copy of your window sticker, or a copy of the dealer invoice? If your hitch was factory, it will be listed on the documentation.

No, I removed the tank hoping I would find one, but no luck.
is there any other way to source out what it was ordered with, or is the tank sticker than only way to verify?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
check the site out, looks like it's for corvette 1977 and up.
Yes. 77-81. GM Detroit contracted with Allied-Vaughn to microfiche their (Detroit) copies of Corvette dealer invoices. Contact Allied-Vaughn with your VIN. They will check their records. If they find your VIN, you can purchase a copy of your dealer invoice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes. 77-81. GM Detroit contracted with Allied-Vaughn to microfiche their (Detroit) copies of Corvette dealer invoices. Contact Allied-Vaughn with your VIN. They will check their records. If they find your VIN, you can purchase a copy of your dealer invoice.

thank you

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
We learn new stuff everyday and I will be the first to admit I was wrong. I guess a trailering package could be had on a Vette. WOW :thud:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Vette Tow hitch

I put a tow hitch & wiring on my 67 ragtop I drove around North NJ tfrom the early 70's up to the mid 80's. Dragged around dirt bikes on a trailer, and twice a year brought my boat down & up the GSP to / from the shore. Surprised more than a few Camaros by blowing by them with the boat & trailer behind when leaving the toll booths :laughing:

My current 72 has a tow hitch, although I don't tow much anymore. As stated before, to each their own. It does get a couple of WTF's whenever I take the car out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts