Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a C5 and fobs quit working. new batteries and went through the steps to reset and they do not register. any thoughts or tips? dont want to take it to the dealer. thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
have a C5 and fobs quit working. new batteries and went through the steps to reset and they do not register. any thoughts or tips? dont want to take it to the dealer. thanks
Welcome! Unfortunately, that may be your only alternative, it's really hard to diagnose electronic issues.
Sorry, not much help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Some have reported cleaning the contacts used under the fob buttons worked for them.

sometimes batteries in odd sizes are not fresh when sold, and of course the car battery must also pass performance checks, as verifying correct power is the first thing to check. Don't mean to be insulting over such basic first steps, but one never knows how experienced a questioner might be in public forum. we live in a time where posts about a secret trick to unlock your car with a potato gets many views.

I had a buddy with a father who quote, "had a hell of a dam problem , when his TV wouldn't turn on, and was afraid he would miss a big televised fight , so was preparing to return his newly purchased TV back to the store. Fortunately the man had friends who determined his remote only needed new batteries.

a possible complication is the C5 used two different frequencies in the wireless receiver, one for the early years , another for the late, so it might be possible , although I am only guessing in an attempt to offer help, the learning sequence you used did not apply, or was simply incorrectly posted and must be double checked for accuracy .

it is also a possibility that a previous owner might have retrofitted to the cheaper later tire pressure monitor frequencies and didn't change the fobs at the time, although this seems rather screwy. If you have fobs that you know used to work, it might be the contacts under the buttons need cleaning , or the battery contacts are loose. Some have reported cleaning the electrical contacts in the fob buttons worked for them. I reposted this sentence up top when I realized I had gotten to probably the only useful statement a little late

I hate to slander a dealer, but I suspect that a dealer would do no more than just replace the battery , then, if that didn't work, the fobs, and if that didn't work, replace the transponder in the body. I agree with your position to avoid the dealership, because they don't repair key fobs or damaged circuits, just bad car wiring. Which is another thing to check towards the end of a list of possible solutions, a good ground.

I hope your problem is easily solved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts