Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my I purchased my car, my headlights have not worked properly. Well, it is the next thing on my agenda.

Since I have never seen all my headlights on, could someone tell me what they are supposed to function?

I currently turn on my headlights and the outside pair come on.
If I hit the bright switc the outside pair get brighter.
The inside set do nothing at any point.
I was wondering i all 4 are supposed to come on when dim and or just two? Are the interior ones just bright only?

thanks

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Outer pair are low beam.
Inners are high beam.

With low beam on, outers only are lit.
With high beams on, outers may increase and inner pair will come on.

All four are lit on high beam only.

Check the assembly instruction manual (AIM) or your owners manual for the correct lamps. If memory serves, the low beam connectors/lamps have three prongs on the back of them. High beams have only two prongs.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like either my high beam switch is bad or the wiring/connections from the switch to the headlight are bad?
Or I guess, both brights could be burned out at once. :)

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Piece of mind. When in doubt, replace all four. You'll have warranties, you'll know they are all correct, and you'll get the best lighting from new lamps.

Outer lamps - Low/High (3 Prong)
Inner lamps - High (2 Prong)

As Mike said, when on low beam, the outers only are illuminated on low beam. When you switch to high beam, the outers intensify to high beam, and the inners illuminate to match the intensity of the outers on high beam.

Also, make sure they are aimed properly.
http://www.midstatedmc.com/tech/aim.htm

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yep. Most likely culprit is the lamps.
Could be the dimmer switch.
Could be the light switch.
Mike, would you mind if I disagree? as a newbee here ;)

When I go by my Chevy service manual schematic, it can not be the light switch, nor the dimmer switch.
This is because the high beams are wired together at the lamps up front, so if the inner beams do not illuminate, there are just 2 options:
the wiring or lamp socket is defctive, or
the inner lamps are burnt out.

Right?
Cor

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike, would you mind if I disagree? as a newbee here ;)

When I go by my Chevy service manual schematic, it can not be the light switch, nor the dimmer switch.
This is because the high beams are wired together at the lamps up front, so if the inner beams do not illuminate, there are just 2 options:
the wiring or lamp socket is defctive, or
the inner lamps are burnt out.

Right?
Cor
I am at work and don't have my books with me. Are you saying that there is a wire going from the outside bulbs to the inside bulbs that power the high beams on both sides?

So, if power is making it to the outside high beams, everything before that point should be functioning properly?
Therefore, either the cross-over wiring to the interior headlights on both sides are bad or both headlights are bad?

I'm am just wondering if I understand what you are saying. This may help limit what I test tonight.

thanks

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Pull the two inner high beam bulbs and put 12V across the terminals. That'll tell you fast and easy if the bulbs work.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm am just wondering if I understand what you are saying. This may help limit what I test tonight.

thanks
That is precisely what I am saying,
the problem can not be in the light switch or in the dimmer switch,
only in the wire to the inner lamps , or the inner lamps themselves.
Cor

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked the driver's side high beam last night.

I got a positive test for power on the plug and the bulb showed max resistance with an ohm meter.

I am going to guess that the bulb is bad as well as the passenger bulb. I am not suprised, the 3 screws holding the high beam bulbs look like they had never been touched. I am going to have to replace them.

While I am at it, I am going to replace the driver's side front grill with this one from corvette central.
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb...S37T0HKA5I12186880124d~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000050G#

One problem, does anyone know if there is a trick to removig the turn signal socket out of the grill? The wires looked to be factory crimped and the socket does not seem to be small enough to rotate out of the grill hole.

jim

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...Does this link give an adequate description on how to remove the bulbs?...
Yep. That's the process. Do you have the assembly instruction manual (AIM)? It has a daigram of how the lamps mount and is helpful before you get into the job.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't use those directions at all. All I did to get to the headlights was remove the front grill to unplug the light while it was up. Than unscrew the 3 screws that hold it in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts