Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I tried both square and round port header gaskets and both leaked. The gaskets I used were Mr. Gasket $13 gaskets from Kragen. How do I fix this? 2 gaskets on each side, special gaskets, or different headers?

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
and use copper or aluminum gaskets that won't blow out.

those composite gaskets are crap.
:agree:
I had the copper ones on my 75. Never had to double up.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
587 Posts
So, I tried both square and round port header gaskets and both leaked. The gaskets I used were Mr. Gasket $13 gaskets from Kragen. How do I fix this? 2 gaskets on each side, special gaskets, or different headers?
if the head surface of the header flange is flat you will need to use a wire welder and put a bead around each port for something to "bite" into the gaskets

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
Go to your local parts store and pick up a can of copper spray gasket. Spray the header surface and the head surface along with the gasket. This will solve your problem and it only costs about $6 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
What do you mean by cutting the flanges?
cut out the flange inbetween primary tubes- so that you have a total of three flanges (one per outer tube, one for the two centers) this makes it easier for the flange to seal

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,829 Posts
cut out the flange inbetween primary tubes- so that you have a total of three flanges (one per outer tube, one for the two centers) this makes it easier for the flange to seal
Your header flange would look like this. If the flange is not perfectly flat this will help. I've don't this several times over the years

[- O -] [- O O -] [- O -]

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Guys, you're missing the fact he's got a BB. Cutting flanges on the headers might work, but he's gonna' end up with 4 free tubes.

Take a good look at your header flanges. Make sure there is a good lip around each tube and the flanges are FLAT (other than the lip.)

I'm running plain old composition gaskets and have never had any problem. After I put them on, I check the bolts all the time for a couple of weeks. Check them hot, cold, just about everytime I stop, and before I go. It's a PITA for a while, but I've never blown a header gasket either. (on a BB anyway)

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

This is the post mentioned above. I ran this when I ran into the same problems
All headers have a raise portion around the header tube that is a weld that was made between the tube and flange. This portion is raised to bit into the header gasket and the area on the outside of this flange is lower so it doesn't really contact and hold the gasket.

My heads have very large ports and the gaskets need to clear the ports are about 2.2 inch diameter while the headers are 2 inch. This causes the raised portion of the header seal to fall inside the gasket. I really should be 2 1/4 inch headers but getting that size tubing to fit would be a nightmare on the steering box side. I could do it on the passengers side.

I took the mig and added another raise portion outside the existing flange around the tubing

Some carefull work with a grinder, being careful not to grind below the existing raised lip around the tube and then working with a file, a hand file to blend the new welded section to the height of the old machined raise section and then I finally just made a light pass with a blending wheel on the grinder to make it look goo

This shows all 4 done with the increased wider raise section that hopefully will clamp the gasket between the flat surface of the head adn this wider lip seal on the header.

Only time will tell if it works as hoped and maybe I can make a set of 2 1/4 headers as a winter project.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Welding around the ports worked. I have not had a problem all summer. YOu and also notice the cuts between the tubes. this allows each tube to be pulled down tight against the head and not fight the flange.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Get a set of PERCY gaskets and you want have a problem. :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts