Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thumbing through a Jegs catalog and I notice they have Hooker headers for $170 and headers for $1000.

Beyond the fact that the $1000 ones were ceramic coated and tuned what kind of difference am I going to notice beyond the price and finish? Is the hp gain any greater?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Well you are going to save considerable weight. Your wallet will be MUCH lighter :laughing:
Are the tube sizes any different? Larger diameter? Tuned headers are mainly for racing. The gain from using them with mufflers on the street will be reduced. Generally speaking, the bigger the tube diameter, the more headers cost. And Hooker headers are the "Cadillac" of headers. The most expensive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I put Dynomax Ceramacoat headers on my 74 for about $200. I've had them on for 3 or 4 years and they still look good and don't leak. I'll trade that for an extra 5 horsepower anyday. :cheers:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
And Hooker headers are the "Cadillac" of headers. The most expensive.
I consider Hooker just std. quality, then there's stahl and if you want realy high $$ stuff you could check to see if burns make some nice ones in stainless.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Personally, I've had good luck with Hedman Headers. Good prices and good fit.
I checked the Stahl website. Big $$$!!!
I bought a set of Hooker Super Comp headers from George Daina. They're for a big block. Tubes are HUGE!!!! :surprised

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
I'm looking at getting a pair of tight fit headers from speedway motors and then having them ceramic coated. What can I do to them before the coating to make 'em look as good as possible?

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I talked to a header shop owner once some time ago....he told me flat out, that engines love headers with same length...peaky hp and super efficient....but RACE CARS loved headers of unequal length....broader hp curve.....AND most importantly...for street use especially.....any time you put a long pipe after the collector, muffler or not, not matter....you have lost ALL the effect of the headers.....

this was said, when I was buying a set of headers from him, which I did anyway AFTER the comment.....so....he makes headers....his headers are better than average for MY car/uses....just mild steel for 160 bux or so....hey, they work....case closed....

but from what I hear of any muffler having restrictions the way they do, I beleive him when he says.....

it was Schoenfeld.....

·
Registered
959 Posts
I think the major difference is the thickness of the metal, tubes and flanges and of course coating isn`t cheap. If you want a really nice set and are willing to pay, you could try Performance Stainless in Appleton, WI they built mine out of carbon steel (not stainless)....right on the car.
...redvetracr

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
AND most importantly...for street use especially.....any time you put a long pipe after the collector, muffler or not, not matter....you have lost ALL the effect of the headers.....
If that is true how does he explain gains see on the dyno with headers and full exhaust?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think the major difference is the thickness of the metal, tubes and flanges and of course coating isn`t cheap. If you want a really nice set and are willing to pay, you could try Performance Stainless in Appleton, WI they built mine out of carbon steel (not stainless)....right on the car.
...redvetracr
:agree:

Headers can be a lifetime purchase. I had my 20 year old hooker S/C recoated a couple of yours ago. other than a few dents and dings they are still nice.

·
Registered
966 Posts
If that is true how does he explain gains see on the dyno with headers and full exhaust?
Advertising hype from muffler/pipe manufacturers? Ever see a full exhaust on a Pro Stocker? Indycar? F1? NASCAR uses exhaust dumps for safety reasons.

DD

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Advertising hype from muffler/pipe manufacturers? Ever see a full exhaust on a Pro Stocker? Indycar? F1? NASCAR uses exhaust dumps for safety reasons.

DD
No and race cars aren't what is being discussed here. I agree that open headers in a full race application is the best for horsepower but to say that when you put full exhaust on a car with headers the headers are now useless is just not a true statement. Maybe I misunderstood what he was trying to say.

·
Registered
966 Posts
No and race cars aren't what is being discussed here. I agree that open headers in a full race application is the best for horsepower but to say that when you put full exhaust on a car with headers the headers are now useless is just not a true statement. Maybe I misunderstood what he was trying to say.
Not useless...headers do help save a considerable amount of weight compared to cast iron manifolds. But every bend and baffle the exhaust has to pass through is robbing horsepower. To get the optimum benefit of headers, you would not run them through a full exhaust system. At any rate, why would it matter what kind of benefit you get from headers if you are running them on the street on a full exhaust system? Can't race on the street :D

DD

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
full length headers scavenge better than cast manifolds also, especially those tri y headers are nice and the burns stuff w/ the merge (neck down) collectors. Highly ported cast manifolds will go a long way but with headers it's just so much easier to get a proper exhaust system installed.

No and race cars aren't what is being discussed here
oh damn LOL I'm in the wrong place then :D

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
full length headers scavenge better than cast manifolds also, especially those tri y headers are nice and the burns stuff w/ the merge (neck down) collectors. Highly ported cast manifolds will go a long way but with headers it's just so much easier to get a proper exhaust system installed.

oh damn LOL I'm in the wrong place then :D

Street/Strip/same pavement?? oh well....

I maybe not expressing what he was saying, he builds mainly for the roundy round dirt track racers....I understand...the main thing I like about headers is they cool so much quicker...that damn HEAVY cast manifold heats up, and it can cook a 2" steak for over an hour before it cools down again....
pop the hood on headers, and they cool off in 30 minits...even in Florida....

too boot the headers are so much lighter, at least mine are....

·
Registered
966 Posts
You're right Gene...I forgot about the headers cooling down faster than cast iron manifolds :thumbsup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't know about a lifetime purchase George. Maybe, I guess. Unless you beat them to crap and they look like this. Hooker Comp+ ceramic coated. :surprised

Actually the owner of this set had them on a BB C3 and only used it as an occassional DD.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I don't know about a lifetime purchase George. Maybe, I guess. Unless you beat them to crap and they look like this. Hooker Comp+ ceramic coated. :surprised

Actually the owner of this set had them on a BB C3 and only used it as an occassional DD.

Very nice "bundle of snakes" :D :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts