Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a 95 corvette. money is tight but is willing to be spent on headers down the road. i was wonder what headers i should buy. My car is my daily driver, i live in california so i have tight emissions. anyone know a site or a place to buy headers, a full system, long tube headers, X pipe or Y( i dont know which one it uses) and the cats. infor is MUCH appreciated cuz ive been stressing on this. thank you guys:partyon:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Try Melroseheaders.com. Several members, myself included, have them and love em !

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the feedback guys
but on the melrose headers, the emmission hook ups are pointing towards the fron of the car, the headers on my 95 emmission hook ups are point to the back...soo u sure they are the right ones?
god i hate being a noob with so many dreams for my car :(

·
Registered
796 Posts
give them a call, the system pictured is for an early model C4. Don't let that discourage you. They are really nice to talk with.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
par 4nut, thanks for the feedback.
what kind of cat back exhaust wuld u recconmend? cuz my moneysituation, ima get thne exhaust first then do the headers.

·
Registered
441 Posts
par 4nut, thanks for the feedback.
what kind of cat back exhaust wuld u recconmend? cuz my moneysituation, ima get thne exhaust first then do the headers.
With your mentioned money situation.... Why not do yourself a BIG favor and just spend your cash on a pair of good highquality longtube headers like the Melrose units mentioned (or TPIS and Exotic Muscle are also good choices for the headers) .......the gains from dropping a bunch of cash on a complete cat back exhaust system are nearly non-existant on a 95 LT1 Vette........and many times the common aftermarket cat-back systems have even "smaller" diameter pipes than your 95 factory exhaust has......so in reality, unless your ready to drop some big bucks on a complete 3 inch exhaust system that goes ALL the way to the back of the car(where it goes into the mufflers)....then your MUCH better off (money wise and performance wise) just to leave the 2 3/4 inch factory exhaust where it is...........My car is currently running in the mid to high 10's in the quarter mile at almost 130 MPH.....and Im still running the factory 95 Vette 2 3/4 inch exhaust system......I have TPIS 1 3/4inch long tubes, and I removed the clogged factory cats during the headers installation.......Number one: cause Im breaking the law anyways with running longtubes(just as you "or anyone" will be:D ).....and Number two: because the longtubes (on the one side) go right into where the factory cat was(yup, right in the way).........My last trip to the track I ran with full open headers(no exhaust at all) for a few of my runs.....the car went 2 tenths faster and only picked up 1 MPH(big deal right:thud: ):D .....point being: the factory exhaust on the 92-96 LT1's isn't that bad at all with a pair of good longtubes on there.........PS: if you HAVE to have some cats on there because of the strict california laws.... you could pick up a pair of high flow cats(like the ones from random-tech) and have them welded in right after the header collector.....but keep in mind.....NONE of it will be legal in California......And there's Really HEAVY fines if they see that "anything" has been altered like were talking about.......nearly everyone I know in california, has had to go with short tube headers so that the factory cats could be retained in their stock locations(which by law they are supposed to be)......thank god they dropped the Emissions program in florida;) ............Joe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats the shitty thing, my car is going to be my daily driver and i do live in california SOO i have to have it smog legal but i just want it to have some power. so ALLLL long tube headers wont pass smog even those melrose? i saw that they look like they have emission hook ups so why wouldnt they pass smog?...all these questions on my car are startin to shoot my ideas down...=/..it seems doing something or another to is is going to make it not pass smog or cost huge $$$ or not be worth doing..its like ahh! :bang

·
Registered
441 Posts
thats the shitty thing, my car is going to be my daily driver and i do live in california SOO i have to have it smog legal but i just want it to have some power. so ALLLL long tube headers wont pass smog even those melrose? i saw that they look like they have emission hook ups so why wouldnt they pass smog?...all these questions on my car are startin to shoot my ideas down...=/..it seems doing something or another to is is going to make it not pass smog or cost huge $$$ or not be worth doing..its like ahh! :bang
A car with longtubes "can" commonly pass a "sniffer" type emission test where they put the probe in the tail pipe to get the hydro readings....but it won't "ever" pass the visual test.....California dosn't allow ANY long tube (full length headers) on anything PERIOD.....If you read the small print in nearly any longtube header advertisment, you see the words: "For offroad use only" which is their little disclaimer;) ......The full length headers that have the emissions hookups on them are simply there so people don't have to completely disconnect their smog (air pump and tubing) equipment if they don't want to (and this is "also" because "some" cars will throw codes if you just simply block the equipment off)......it's obviously pretty misleading making some guys think that long tube headers as long as they have the emission hook-ups are emissions compliant (but they're NOT at all)...their still 100% illegal............Don't get totally discouraged though.....even in the worst state of them all, California (emissions wise), you can still make some pretty decent power and pass both the emissions sniffer test, AND the visual emission's test.........For example: You could go with a pair of Hooker short tube headers...hooker actually makes them for your 95 Vette in the most desirable 1 3/4 inch primary tube size.. I've installed several sets of those exact headers on Vette's and they perform very good for short tubes......with them, you'll get about 75% of the benifits you'd get from the long tube headers , and you won't have to relocate your factory cats(which would be 100% illegal, and they would VERY likely notice in California during the Visual inspection).......So don't worry, it's not the end of the world, you can still make plenty of power in an emissions friendly set-up.......Also Cams like the GM Hotcam for your LT1 Vette will pass emissions with out too much of a problem......you can also go the "safely setup" Nitrous oxide route....a small "wet" 100 shot would be a very safe way to add some power without affecting emissions (or gas mileage either)......when I first purchased my Vette we still had emissions testing at that time so rather than doing internal engine mods or exhaust mods that would make passing emissions impossible, I ran an NOS 140 shot for several years.....the car was 100% bone stock and ran in the high 11's in the quarter.......you could also go the supercharger route and still be emissions compliant, but thats getting into a decent chunk of cash..................Joe:thumbsup:.... Here's the shorty's I was refering to http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=HOK-2061-1HKR&view=32&N=700+ ... For some reason, The picture on the Summit Racing site here is actually "NOT" the "EXACT" picture of them, but they look pretty much like that....the rest of the info in the ad is correct though................Joe:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
thanks for the feedback guys
but on the melrose headers, the emmission hook ups are pointing towards the fron of the car, the headers on my 95 emmission hook ups are point to the back...soo u sure they are the right ones?
god i hate being a noob with so many dreams for my car :(
The ones pictured are for the L-98. They make the proper ones for your car.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
joe b, i completely appreciate ur feed back man.
the supercharger, cam and nitrous is out of the picture for me cuz
1. gas
2. dont know how to install
3. $$$

but ANY and ALL advice is much appreciated
damn so i have to go with short tube headers? **** :down: haha but as long as it passes smog, thats wut im concerned about. im definately going to send my PCM to that place u reconmmend, the guy seemed like a dick a little bit, but ill just say he was havin a bad day haha. but for $200, thats not a bad deal at all.
so if i get short tube headers, wouldnt i have to replace the cats wit 2 free flow ones?
are there 1 or 2 cats on our 95?
and where are they? cuz i think i know where it is but it looks like a huge muffler lookin thing. my brothers 89 is so much easier to do stuff on

·
Registered
441 Posts
joe b, i completely appreciate ur feed back man.
the supercharger, cam and nitrous is out of the picture for me cuz
1. gas
2. dont know how to install
3. $$$

but ANY and ALL advice is much appreciated
damn so i have to go with short tube headers? **** :down: haha but as long as it passes smog, thats wut im concerned about. im definately going to send my PCM to that place u reconmmend, the guy seemed like a dick a little bit, but ill just say he was havin a bad day haha. but for $200, thats not a bad deal at all.
so if i get short tube headers, wouldn't i have to replace the cats wit 2 free flow ones?
are there 1 or 2 cats on our 95?
and where are they? cuz i think i know where it is but it looks like a huge muffler lookin thing. my brothers 89 is so much easier to do stuff on
Yea, I understand about the cash issue bro...I was just mentioning some possible "future" avenues for you so that you could stay 100% emissions compliant and still be able to make some serious power.....I remember very vividly being your age....I'd say your doing pretty darn good for having what you have at your age...I wasn't able to afford my first Vette until I was in my early 20's and I "also" (like yourself) worked very hard to get it(unlike many)........The short tube headers that I left you the link for bolt right up "exactly" in place of your super restrictive factory cast iron exhaust manifolds......you can leave your factory cats right where they are(and I think you should).......From the factory, your 95 Vette has a good "true dual" exhaust system with two hi-flow cats, and one BIG resonator in the middle of the exhaust system.......If I were you I would just do the shorty headers and be done with it for now......to get even higher flowing(less restrictive) cats, like the super hi-flow cats from random tech...you'll spend a bunch of more cash(IE:hundreds), and "once again" LOL, it will be Illegal in California since your technically not even allowed to replace the existing cats with something other than "factory type replacement cats"(which they're NOT)...and you also can't alter there location in the exhaust system "at all" which you would be doing........one good thing about the shorty headers(from the link) is that their SUPER easy to install......you(and your dad) should be able to handle the job, no problem.....the shorty headers slide right in place from the top of the engine...it's really just nuts and bolts.....the only area to be careful is taking your time when you remove and install the header bolts since you ofcourse have aluminum heads...ya just don't want to cross thread any of them, but the bolts are SO large that would be pretty hard to do;) ..............Joe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Also consider yourself lucky that your car isn't a 96....if it was, you'd have the OBD-2 operating system in it to deal with(IE:pCM, computer)......it's SO much harder to do any agressive tuning to them (and mods) without it throwing all kinds of codes(IE:check engine lights, ECT).......where as your 95's OBD-1 operating system is "MUCH" prefered when it comes to tuning, and basicly doing any performance mods in general....many guys with 96's switch back to the 95's OBD-1 operating system because of this........and guess what;) ....If your car was a 96 with OBD-2, it would be Illegal in California to switch to the OBD-1 system:laughing: :D ............Joe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sent you a PM also Evan..........Joe

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
man joe, you really know your **** man
just given u some mroe props cuz u def got the wisdom on 95 vettes, and i honestly feel lucky to be able to talk to someone(like yourself) that isnt a dick when i asked noob questions and u go in detail on all ur replies to my threads
thanks again, tooo bad u didnt live in cali so we'd chill and talk bout vettes. my friends are inept in the car area(more than myself LOL)
im def going to consider the shorty tube headers an option cuz im sure that wuld give at least 10-15 hourse(im guessing) and im also gonna get cat back exhaust. even tho u dont recconmend it, it still will be better than my old rusted stock ones and give some nice sound:thumbsup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh also thanks about sayin im doing good on havin a vette at 17 =D
i worked really hard and i dont regret my choice on buyin a vette WHAT SO EVER. would do it 384839038432 times again if i had too

1 - 16 of 16 Posts