Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure the answer to my dilemma is on this forum somewhere and I've done a search... but come up overwhelmed. So sorry if this may be a redundant thread.

I'm frustrated. No, not that way. :laughing:

I'm getting real close to starting this car up for the first time and the exhaust system is holding me up.

I've got a 97 LT1 with T56 in my 73 and I can't for the life of me find a set of headers.

I first got a set of Headman full length. Part#: HED-68306
The collector on the driver side hit the bell housing where the hydro slave for the clutch mounts.... bummer.

I traded those in for a set of Pace Setter shortys. Part#: 72C-1340
These look like they will work and I won't have to drill the collectors for the O2 sensors... but they only make them with the air injection tube coming right up the center.... bummer again.

So If someone could just point me to a manufacturer that makes a nice set of full length, mid length or shorty headers that will fit with my set up that would be outstanding.

I have a VBP Rack Attack installed and that should be the only thing I need to clear. I'm using the stock hydro slave for the clutch. And if I have to have full length header collectors drilled for O2 sensors, so be it...

I'm close to getting this baby fired up and could really use the help.

Thanks everyone! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
any chance of just modifying the Pace Setters? :huh:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any chance of just modifying the Pace Setters? :huh:
The air injection tubes come right up the center of the header between all four tubes and the top of the tube has this metal piece attaching the tube to the flange. So it would be disassembling the entire header just get that tube out and I'm sure messing up the ceramic coating.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more response to this.

BonneRisque - I'll check these guys out, but from what I see this looks really expensive... my budget for headers would be about a 600 dollar ceiling. Thanks for the link. Did you get headers made by these guys? Is this a source you think many people here use?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sanderson headers may be able to make you what you want. te are in so. s.f. you can call them and ask.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The air injection tubes come right up the center of the header between all four tubes and the top of the tube has this metal piece attaching the tube to the flange. So it would be disassembling the entire header just get that tube out and I'm sure messing up the ceramic coating.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more response to this.

BonneRisque - I'll check these guys out, but from what I see this looks really expensive... my budget for headers would be about a 600 dollar ceiling. Thanks for the link. Did you get headers made by these guys? Is this a source you think many people here use?
No I've never had anything made by Stainless

But others speak highly of them

Just a shot in the dark is all

Good Luck:nuts:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Check out Sanderson they make many custom application headers. I used them on my C3 when upgrading to a 572 ci engine

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check out Sanderson they make many custom application headers. I used them on my C3 when upgrading to a 572 ci engine
Just checked out their site... gonna give them a call... prices seem reasonable for their out of the box stuff... thinking they might be approachable for custom.

Anyone else have any solid brands and part numbers or anything, please post here... it will be a great help.

Thanks for the advice so far.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just checked out their site... gonna give them a call... prices seem reasonable for their out of the box stuff... thinking they might be approachable for custom.

Anyone else have any solid brands and part numbers or anything, please post here... it will be a great help.

Thanks for the advice so far.
they are very easy to talk to they will build you what you want.. they work with a lot of racers in the bay area. i had great customer service with them.. i wasnt happy with the welds on my set and they made me a new set the next day..

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I assume you aren't using the smog parts? Why not just cap them off? That's what I did with my old headers.

Check out what I did, this picture shows the cap on the headers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I assume you aren't using the smog parts? Why not just cap them off? That's what I did with my old headers.
I'm not using the smog parts... The Pace Setter shortys I ordered have the smog tubes in them... but they are not attractive. I figure if I'm building a car that doesn't require smog, why settle for headers that have the option and don't look good?

I'm gonna make calls to sanderson, stainlessheaders and melrose on monday and see what they say.

I'm just trying to keep the price point under $600. Not sure if that's going to be possible if I have to have something custom built and ceramic coated.

It's surprising to me with all the swaps going on that one of these companies hasn't built a couple options. There really isn't that much difference in the C3 engine bays and with most of us doing LT or LS swaps it seems feasible that there should be more options at this point. Now I'm rambling. :crazy:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So Sanderson makes a set of shorty block huggers that will work for me... BUT...

NOW I'm wondering what's involved in perhaps switching out my throwout bearing for an internal slave/throwout.

Is this an easy process or not?
Do I have to completely change the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel?

If I can get the internal slave/throwout, then I can use the Headmen full length headers I got in the first place. :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts