Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any headers out there that still utilize the stock catalytic converters?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I can't comment from first hand experience about any other brand but Kooks Headers which I have on mine. I am still running stock cats. The sell an adapter to weld up to the stock cats. I bought mine from "tbyrne" they are a supporting vender on this site. They are an outstanding company. As far as headers with stock cats, alot of folks say don't do it. At this point I have no complaints what so ever. I am about to delete the cats altogether, looking for more HP before I go on to H/C . Hope this info helps :smokin:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the setup that I am looking at. One of my questions is where do the long tubes end and the cats begin. What do u mean when you say they sell an adapter to weld to the cats? Does that mean you have to cut the factory pipe that is already there and weld a new flange to bolt to the headers? Do you have to reposition the stock cats? I think i know what you mean but i just want to make sure before i spend the cash. thanks for the help

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Kooks headers end in a 3" flange that bolts to their X- pipe. The adapters have a 3" flange that bolts to the headers. The only difference is it is aout 6" long with a bend or turn in it the other end is open. This 3" opening goes around the outside of the stock cat and it is welded in place. And yes you do cut the pipe right in front of the cat before you weld it. There are plenty of cars running around with this set up. No you don't have to move anything else. If you have a Borla X-R1 your goning to love the sound this car makes with the kooks headers. Folks are going pull a long side of you at a light and ask how much HP or are you running a supercharger? I tell them it's a heavy duty rubber band wound real tight and smile.
I like to go in stages so I can see if there really is a difference in a mod. The other plus factor was the cost of a catted Y pipe. I did not want to pay that money for something that I would later discard.:smokin:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great thanks for all the help. Now that I know i can install the Kooks LT's by just cutting my stock pipe close to the cats, i am gonna go ahead and order them. I am prolly gonna call TBYRNE later today and ask him about a price on the headers and the adapters they sell. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts