Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to create a combined headlight upgrade thread for all those interested. I just finished installing electric motors, LED halos, H1 and H4 bulbs, and relays to control them all on my '73. First, I'll show some wiring diagrams I created that will hopefully aide you in your setup.

Please note the relays are standard bosch-style relays. The lights all use SPST relays, the motors use SPDT. The images in the schematics may not be fully accurate, but the layout is accurate for what I did. This is a general guide for what I did.

Electric motors:

LED halo headlamps:

Low-beam headlamps:

High-beam headlamps:

Electric motors: I used two used Ford Probe motors and the custom brackets made by TimberwolfFXDL. I used the parking lamp wire as the trigger, because I wanted the doors to open with the parking lamps. I'll add some pictures of this install when there's daylight.

LED halo headlamps, halo tail lamps, and LED brake and reverse lamps: Special thanks to 7t2vette for the walk-through on this. Check out his thread here. Everything is explained there. For the LED halo headlamps, I also tapped the parking lamp wire for the relay, so they work along with the parking lamps.

For the headlights, use a heat gun to separate the glass from the housing, position the LED halo in the housing, and epoxy it in. This part was so easy, 45 seconds with the gun and the glass comes right off.

I used:
2 sets of these headlamps: http://www.ebay.com/itm/250921537017
2 sets of these 126mm LED halo lights: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390580926603
2 sets of these 85mm LED halo lights: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261103754111
*A note of warning, the tail lights I bought were far poorer quality than the larger 126mm lights. It may seem obvious, but test them first. I had to return 3 individual halos because the solder connections broke along the way.

Here is a video of the lights in action. Let me know what you think. Any questions, fire away, I'll give you what insight I have from my install experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucK62OlbANw

Note: I realize the passenger door opens slower than the driver side. The bezel got caught at some point and the motor was under stress. I didn't notice it for a while. boohoo me. Still works fine, but it lost the nice symmetry. :thud:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks nice...I'm eventually going to do the rear halo lights...I'll look for some quality ones...

Any specific reason you are running voltage suppression relays?

Richard

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm no electrician, and the schematic software I was using pulled that up for 'automotive relay.' The relays are standard 40A Bosch style SPST or SPDT relays. I'll edit the original post to point that out.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you clarify- the 85mm- you have linked on ebay- Are those the ones you had to return-to Honk Kong?
So maybe I should look for some one else's?

Got it on the relay...sort of like autocorrect on my phone!!!

Richard

Yep, the 85mm were the ones that weren't so great. The seller was very good about expediting things and took care of everything. Eventually I just took off the backs and reinforced the solder connections myself. I still don't expect them to last very long.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Looks great, and I like your license plate. lol. I'm not a huge fan of the angel eyes on the headlights per se, but I love what you did with the tail lights and it's definitely in the plans!

What year(s) probe headlights are you (or anyone) using again? And I don't want to seem that this is a hijack, because it's directly related, but what other motors work here? I have my brackets sitting there, but I'm not exactly sure which motors will work, so I haven't pulled the trigger.

Make/Model/Year range...

thanks!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great, and I like your license plate. lol. I'm not a huge fan of the angel eyes on the headlights per se, but I love what you did with the tail lights and it's definitely in the plans!

What year(s) probe headlights are you (or anyone) using again? And I don't want to seem that this is a hijack, because it's directly related, but what other motors work here? I have my brackets sitting there, but I'm not exactly sure which motors will work, so I haven't pulled the trigger.

Make/Model/Year range...

thanks!
Thanks! I love the tails too, but I'm still on the fence if I'll keep the headlight halos. They are so bright though, they add a good amount of close visibility, which is a nice addition. We have 7t2vette to thank for the idea and setup of both halo sets.

No worries, it's not a hijack, I started it for any questions related. My motors are from a 95 Probe. I believe 93-96 are all the same. They were smaller than I thought, and for me, fit nicely on the outside of the brackets. I'll get out there and take some pictures of my setup today.

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Outstanding work.....added this to my "to do" list.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Very nice work, I like the halo's front and rear.

I am looking to do some upgrades like this but I will wait untill I do the body work maybe as soon as this fall. Right now I'm trying to find time to drive it as much as I can, which is not enough.

Some detail photos of the motors Installed would be nice to see.

Thanks for sharing.

Riggs

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Sure thing, these are the rod ends I used:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CF6AM5K

The threading is 5/16. You will need to use all thread rods, the factory rod ends on the headlight end are 18 pitch, and these are 24 pitch. I couldn't find 18 pitch rod ends anywhere.
I got the smaller one and just drilled and tapped it for 18 pitch-

OR- you can use the original GM one- as I did when I was testing/setting /making my bracket,

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Thanks for the nice write up. I plan to do the same (once I give up my pipe dream of getting them to open up half way with projectors).

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Can be done-Here's what you need - a power seat motor w/ an Acme threaded nut.

Just need a couple of limit switches to stop throw. I took an Acme nut- welded to a tube and then a 5/16 18 threaded nut- my intentions are for the wiper door, but should work in your application.

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Sure thing, these are the rod ends I used:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CF6AM5K

The threading is 5/16. You will need to use all thread rods, the factory rod ends on the headlight end are 18 pitch, and these are 24 pitch. I couldn't find 18 pitch rod ends anywhere.
OK, that's exactly the ones I got from Ace Hardware $12 each! Dammit... :spanked:

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
I got the smaller one and just drilled and tapped it for 18 pitch-

OR- you can use the original GM one- as I did when I was testing/setting /making my bracket,

Oh that's what had me confused, I didn't know you re tapped the hole. Couldn't find one of those anywhere!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts