Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed this past summer that when the head lamps are on that there is light fogging on the inside of the headlamp lens. This is simaliar to the fogging that occurs on the inside of your windshield. Has anybody else noticed this ? Is there any way to clean the lens? Or is this one of the common things that is a brain problem and you just live with it.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
That is not normal. Those lights are sealed and should not be getting any moister in there at all. Are both doing this?

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
So you're saying there is no fog on the inside until you turn them on? Does it eventually burn off? Is it actual condensation, or is the plastic permanently cloudy/imperfect on the inside surface?

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Do you guys have your head light covers tinted or have any film on them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2010 GS. The car came with an Owner Instruction DVD. In the section where the features of the exterior are described it mentions that fog inside the xenon headlights is normal. It says that you may occaisionally notice white fog or condensation inside the headlight lenses. This could occur after washing the car, exiting a heated garage, or places with high to low humidity ranges. It says that the fog should exit the lamp within 2-6 hours after the lights are in use. Check it out if you have the DVD. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is not normal. Those lights are sealed and should not be getting any moister in there at all. Are both doing this?
I know that they are sealed. It's not condensation. And it does not matter on the weather,hot or cold. It appears to me like it is a light residue from inside the the capsule assembly. It looks like someone smoked a cigarette in there. You only notice it when the headlamps are on at night . The lenses are not as crystal cear as the where when new. I just don't know how to fix it. Maybe a warranty issue? My wife thinks I'am nuts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you're saying there is no fog on the inside until you turn them on? Does it eventually burn off? Is it actual condensation, or is the plastic permanently cloudy/imperfect on the inside surface?
The best way that I can discribe it is. It looks like someone smoked a cigarette in there and that the smoke residue is on the inside of the lense. It is not that bad but it is not as crystal cear as it was. Call me crazy but it just bothers me. my biggest concern is that it will get worst over time .And yes it is permanent , no condensation and it does not burn off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2010 GS. The car came with an Owner Instruction DVD. In the section where the features of the exterior are described it mentions that fog inside the xenon headlights is normal. It says that you may occaisionally notice white fog or condensation inside the headlight lenses. This could occur after washing the car, exiting a heated garage, or places with high to low humidity ranges. It says that the fog should exit the lamp within 2-6 hours after the lights are in use. Check it out if you have the DVD. Hope this helps.
Thanks I will check it out. Hey we almost live in same hood. I bought mine @ Criswell . Hope you have as much fun in yours as I do mine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My owners manual (08) also mentions this happening and that it was normal and would go away on its own.

Seem to notice it more after washing my Vette, which was why I researched it in my owners manual in the first place.

Also my lens's do not appear to be effected by this after the fog/mist evaps.

Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts