Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can only make guesses, so...

...what exactly are these slots for?

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
i'm going to guess and say that they are there to let air into and out of the headlight assembly....if you look at the C5's with the conversion kits on them they have a small fan in the bottom of them to get air moving inside the assembly

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Cooling.

Those lights will get HOTTTT.

The question is.... how does the cooling work?

The "Breathless Performance" lemans-style headlights for C5 have a heat and moisture reduction fan system.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, y'all.

I agree with the suggestions so far. Taking a closer look at another pic (from another angle) the slots do appear to be part of some kind of venting system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Those aren't slots.

They are reflective ridges molded into the body underneath the cover, and they serve to project a small amount of light upwards to light overhead signs.

Reflecting part of the beam upwards is part of the DOT spec, btw. Many projector beam headlamps use something similar. One example -- the MKIV Supra has ridges identical to those, which serve the same function.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
Heatseeker said:
Reflecting part of the beam upwards is part of the DOT spec, btw.
I didn't know that but it make sense. Seal beams have a diffusion panel which would throw light up whereas projector lens don't

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heatseeker said:
Those aren't slots.

They are reflective ridges molded into the body underneath the cover, and they serve to project a small amount of light upwards to light overhead signs.

Reflecting part of the beam upwards is part of the DOT spec, btw. Many projector beam headlamps use something similar. One example -- the MKIV Supra has ridges identical to those, which serve the same function.
Aha!

That would explain THIS pic, then? :huh:

But, what about this zoomed closeup? They appear to be open slots. No?

Is it possible that there is another light beneath the "slots" directed upwards through the "slots?"

Thank you, Heatseeker. I believe you, but I'm still a little confused. My eyes, and these pics, are playing tricks on me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts