Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to Depo lights from my OEM lights. The Headlight actuator module under the passenger's side headlight, is that now useless to me? Can I just unplug it and leave the plugs hanging?

Thanks

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
If you're going to leave them I'd secure them with zip ties and tape the ends with electrical tape so if you ever want to use them again there's no damage.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently you dont need the module once the headlight motors are gone. I taped up the ends of the connectors and zip-tied them off to the side.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Make sure you use something like electrical tape and tape up the ends of those wires. You don't want water getting in there. I was thinking that you would still need that module...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did. I taped them up all up with electric tape and them taped them together. Zip-tied it off to the side.

Nah, the headlight actuator is just a relay for the headlight motors. Since those are now gone, it's unnecessary. The Depo lights just plug-n-play and are good to go. They turn on and off like normal just no up and down.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I did. I taped them up all up with electric tape and them taped them together. Zip-tied it off to the side.

Nah, the headlight actuator is just a relay for the headlight motors. Since those are now gone, it's unnecessary. The Depo lights just plug-n-play and are good to go. They turn on and off like normal just no up and down.
Are those lights easy to adjust? I've heard that they don't have any means of sighting them in... always wanted fixed headlamps on mine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are those lights easy to adjust? I've heard that they don't have any means of sighting them in... always wanted fixed headlamps on mine.
RT, I had ZERO problem adjusting them. My problem wasn't my lights it was my car since my car had been in an accident and it was apparent on the passenger's side when I got the OEM lights out and had to slip these in.

I had to replace the Depo bracket with one I created and I also had to lengthen the holes in the other two brackets to get it to sit about right. If your car is in excellent condition these will slip right in and line up without a problem. I finished the install at night purposely so I could see how the lights lined up against my fence. If you have to adjust the lights themselves there is a screw at the bottom of them to raise up or lower the lights. If you have a screwdriver with a 2' shaft like I have from my days of fixing copiers, it's a snap but you still gotta remove the closeout panel from under the car.

This install is best done with a friend so one can be under the car tightening bolts and the other above positioning the lights into place.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
RT, I had ZERO problem adjusting them. My problem wasn't my lights it was my car since my car had been in an accident and it was apparent on the passenger's side when I got the OEM lights out and had to slip these in.

I had to replace the Depo bracket with one I created and I also had to lengthen the holes in the other two brackets to get it to sit about right. If your car is in excellent condition these will slip right in and line up without a problem. I finished the install at night purposely so I could see how the lights lined up against my fence. If you have to adjust the lights themselves there is a screw at the bottom of them to raise up or lower the lights. If you have a screwdriver with a 2' shaft like I have from my days of fixing copiers, it's a snap but you still gotta remove the closeout panel from under the car.

This install is best done with a friend so one can be under the car tightening bolts and the other above positioning the lights into place.
Thanks a lot - let us know how you like them after some night driving. I've replaced one of the headlamp motors and promised myself I wouldn't do another one. Plastic gears in a plastic case lifting something that heavy = bad design idea.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot - let us know how you like them after some night driving. I've replaced one of the headlamp motors and promised myself I wouldn't do another one. Plastic gears in a plastic case lifting something that heavy = bad design idea.
You got it buddy! I've replaced the headlight motor myself but on my Trans Am. It's a pain in the arse and you are right, the design sucks!!!!

I'll say this at least that fifteen years ago you didn't have the choice to at least change out the sprocket from plastic to metal but at least the motors sold over the GM parts counter were fantastic. I replaced that motor on my driver's side in my Trans Am back in 1996 and it's still going strong. On the flipside of that the passenger's side motor in my T/A is OEM and it's 25 years old!!!!! :laughing: Speaking of which, in my 'vette it's the driver's side motor that was starting to go as well......what the hell??? You'd think GM by now would've hired some ambidextrous headlight motor makers?! :laughing:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts