Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to adjust the head lights on a C3 what adjustment screws do I need to turn to adjust themm?

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I should have been more specific

Its the Beam its too low and not straight too... I remember doing puting the car in the garage and shining the lights on the wall.. I dont know what screws to adjust for proper alignment..

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Got the AIM? If memory serves, there's an AIM page giving something of a How To, showing the adjuster screws, and failing to mention the lights were set with a machine on the assembly line.

Remove the bezel. You'll see two adjusters on each light.

A little goes a long way, so work in small increments.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Did you headlight just go outa wack or have you lights been off aim for a while?

If they just went outa wack you might have a light adjuster crew disconnected from light bucket. before adjusting anything remove the bezel and inspect the (2) screws on each headlight that hold the headlight bucket to the door.

Each head light (on pass side) have a screw at the 12 o'clock and the 3 o"clock position

Each head light (on driver side) have a screw at the 12 o'clock and the 9 o"clock position

The heads of these screws have a slot and the bottom edge that slip into slots in the headlight bucket. If the plastic mounting nuts are crossed stripped the screws are on an angle and slip out of the headlight bucket pretty easy. Thats why make sure all the screw heads are "seated" in the tin headlight bucket before adjusting. also when adjusting make sure the screws still stay engaged with the bucket.

It is also important that your headlights go all the way up and are adjusted properly (bottom of bezel should be flush with body when up) and the doors go all the way down (door flush with body)

The doors have (3) adjustments

1. Stroke..This is the threaded rod exiting the air motor to the pivot pin (this is NOT used as a limit position) When this is set proporly the head light door will move more up (more than you need) and down further (than you need)

2. Upper limit... This is a bracket located on each headlight door (*looks like a hockey stick with a hex bolt threaded into the end (oposite the door) and the fender side of each bucket. The hex bolt comes in contact with the body when its in the upper position. This is what you adjust to get your door to stop at the position that your bezel is flush to the body. This is a hard bolt to get your wrench on but be patant and you will succeed. ( you might have to lower the door manually and adjust and open up door to check adjustment.

3. Lower Limit....This is a hex head stud (I think 5/16" dia) that is sticking down at the pivot point of the knockle that pushes the door up and pulls down. once you have the up set you can set this when the door is all the way down. Keep adjusting until the door is mostly flush with body.

On my car the doors are flush (mostly) high on one edge and lower in the other. So adjust until you like the look

Now that you have your doors adjusted properly (both go all the way up and both go all the way down)

My trick for adjusting the aim is as follows:

A. Must find a flat surface (at least 15' long)with a wall. (I use my driveway and garage door) Close garage door and pull up the car (within inches) of the door and turn on headlights

B. Mark garage door with masking tape (place an X) where the headlight center is (the brightest part of the beam) Both beams should be close to the same height of each other.

c. Then back up the car (straight back) 15'

d. Now re-aim the headlights back onto the X's you put on the door

This works pretty well (at least for my needs) hope this helps somebody:D

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Wakkey thaks for the Great detailed info... My lights have always been off since I bought the car everyting else works good its just that the AIM is off. I just been to Lazy to mess with it since I very rarelly drive it at nite. I will follow your suggestion on the AIM ...

Thanks Again

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does anyone have a picture or schematic of this:

2. Upper limit... This is a bracket located on each headlight door (*looks like a hockey stick with a hex bolt threaded into the end (oposite the door) and the fender side of each bucket. The hex bolt comes in contact with the body when its in the upper position. This is what you adjust to get your door to stop at the position that your bezel is flush to the body. This is a hard bolt to get your wrench on but be patant and you will succeed. ( you might have to lower the door manually and adjust and open up door to check adjustment.

I stared at my headlight mechanism for 1/2 hour and could not find the adjustment for the up position. I had the bezel removed. Appreciate any help. Covers close flush - just need to djust the up stop on the passenger side as it goes up a spec too high.

Thanks in advance.

·
DC Crew
3,083 Posts
I also read somewhere for the life of me can't find it now but your gas tank should be only 1/2 full if totally full the weight would make the beam to low when you fill it up again then the beam is too high *

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also read somewhere for the life of me can't find it now but your gas tank should be only 1/2 full if totally full the weight would make the beam to low when you fill it up again then the beam is too high *
I'm not trying to aim the headlights, just adjust the bucket stop as it goes a spec too high on the passenger side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts