Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha gang,
Just picked up a sweet 02 6 speed, everything is cherry except the healights, sometimes work there way open when driving, they will sometimes come up a couple inches. I have to manually close them. Thats the next issue, they open and come on fine, but when turning off, the lights go off, buckets stay open. It has an HID xenon light kit, but was told that if the headlights come on, the system is working correctly. Any opinions?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
The problem is the HID upgrade they did. It sounds like they have them all jacked up if they are opening while driving. Step one will be to determine what was upgraded. Did they do the high and low beams or just the low beams?

I hate it when people do half-ass upgrades.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey junkman,
Mahalo for your reply. Yeah, the high beams are done too. The brand is, Xtune... HID xenon kit. Looks pretty simple, has a motor cable, to the gear control box, as well as a plug and play wiring harness, i'm guessing the splice job into the cars harness is not correct. Theres a control box for each side,actually labeled, "gear control"... the lights look good when on, there blue and bright as hell.... going to try and see what i can see from there web site.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing i got from the site, was cars with day time running lights need to disable them. Mine still work. I'm going to pull the fuse for the DRL's and try them. That sux though, i love the DRL's.. makes the car look sinister

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
One thing i got from the site, was cars with day time running lights need to disable them. Mine still work. I'm going to pull the fuse for the DRL's and try them. That sux though, i love the DRL's.. makes the car look sinister
I agree. The car does look better with them on. Now this gear box thing... are you talking about ballast? I have never seen a kit that requires the DRL's to be disabled. That would be a deal breaker for me. Shoot me a link to what you have.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heres some info. I got some from the FAQ, not sure what shop this kit was bought at. If it keeps giving me grief, i'll go back to stock lights.Everything is fine, just seems like the bucket motor are real loose and vibrate open, or not lock shut. Wish i could find a wiring diagram to go through on my next day off.

X-Tune Bi-Xenon Dual Beam HID Universal Conversion Kit Plug-N-Play

X-Tune High Intensity Discharge conversion kit
Please be sure of compatibility with your vehicle before buying. You can check your bulb type here
This is a dual beam bi-xenon conversion kit, for vehicles with a single bulb that provides low and high beam.
Please read our HID FAQ and HID policy for more information

One set includes conversions for both headlights - Each kit includes two bulbs, two ballasts, and mounting hardware
Comes in a color of your choice:

35W HID bulb consumes less power than standard 55W halogen bulb, but produces over 3 times the light output!
Low 35W power draw from your wiring does not burn stock wiring harnesses
Superior safety with driving comfort and high visibility
Perfect way to set your car apart from the crowd.
Will perform in any conditions, 100% water proof construction
X-Tune conversion kits include one year manufacturer's warranty, through Speed-Element Motorsports
Easy plug-n-play installation
For offroad or show use only

When installing, NEVER touch the glass tube, it may cause the bulb to fail prematurely.
You must clean the surface of the glass with rubbing alcohol if it comes in contact with any substance.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like your pic.... "corvette blues"....

Umm, just so noone gets the wrong idea.. i'm married... :D

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which fuse is for the DRL's? The approach lights ? Fuse #2

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I like your pic.... "corvette blues"....

Umm, just so noone gets the wrong idea.. i'm married... :D
:laughing:

Thanks man! The fuse you're looking for is in the floorboard on the passenger;s side of the car. That's INSIDE the car. I'll be back with more info in a bit. I'm headed to the parts store.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kool... i remember with the ebrake up, and ignition off, the DRL's stay off, so i checked the lights in that condition, they pop right open and fire bright, turn off lights, the lights go right off, buckets dont move..... manually shut them, compaired to the c4, the c5 door motors turn with no effort at all.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Kool... i remember with the ebrake up, and ignition off, the DRL's stay off, so i checked the lights in that condition, they pop right open and fire bright, turn off lights, the lights go right off, buckets dont move..... manually shut them, compaired to the c4, the c5 door motors turn with no effort at all.
You may need to get one of those bigger gauge, powered harnesses like I had to do with mine. That resolved all of my bucket issues. Look at my HID thread for more info.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kool... Will do... What kit are you using? If i cant get this kit to work rite, its coming off

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Kool... Will do... What kit are you using? If i cant get this kit to work rite, its coming off
I don't blame you. If you can't get that kit working, I highly suggest you contact Johnathan at JWMotoring (Google it). He stands behind any HID kit he sells. You have to be very careful with eBay kits as some of them are garbage. The secret is in the quality of the ballast.

I no longer have the bulb type HID kit. I went with Light Cannons.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do the bucket motors need power to keep them closed? I'll just unplug them during the day if thats the case. It's not my daily driver, i'll toss this kit in a couple weeks or so... but for now....

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That sux. I was hoping to manually close themmthe just unplug them. It drives me freakin crazy when im driving and the buckets open an inch or more. If i had the stock bulbs, i would have already tossed this HID kit

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Yea, if you unplug the harness that sends the signal to the motor that opens and closes the buckets, then the lights won't come on.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you the man.......... thanks. I read thru your HID link, tried closing the the buckets with the high beams on, and they closed just fine. Now all i have to do is make sure they dont creep open while driving during the day.. I might be able to live with them now. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
If the high beams are working correctly, then that makes me question if they have in fact been changed over to HID's. Are you sure they have been changed? If they are a 9005 bulb, then they haven't.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, my bad. After double checking, taken a better look, the high beams werent done. So i'll keep the kit on for now, focus on other stuff, maybe a intake and cam

1 - 20 of 20 Posts