Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when operating my headlights, the drivers side motor will keep running for 5 seconds or so. Its been doing this for a while but the motion of the headlights has always been smooth and never given me a problem. Now when i retract the headlights the motor keeps running for that 5 seconds but now you hear a clicking noise and you can see the motor arm jump when the hood is up. The motion of the headlights is still very smooth when then go up or down, with no lazy eye or jumping. What is wearing out, or has already worn out? the gears, the bushings, will i eventually get a lazy eye or non working headlight. Sometimes i get a slight hesitation in the passenger headlight when its retracting, its hard to notice but if you watch it a few times you can see it. the passenger side was rebuilt right before i bought the car, and im not sure about the drivers side being fixed or not.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Most likely it's just the bushings the gears ride on. Quick and painless repair and the parts are just a few bucks.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i looked up parts and all are relatively cheap, looked up a few guides on how to do it and it looks pretty easy as well. Question for you Raid, why would the headlights still be functioning good if the parts are worn out? i though for sure when that stuff would go you would get a lazy eye or jumpy rotation of the headlights? Are the motors still suppose to be running when its done rotating? or just cut off once the rotation is done?

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I've not had a new style headlight apart but from what I under stand there are 3 bushings that hold the outer gear away from the inner roller. When those wear out this happens. One can be worn allowing the headlight to work but not the right way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts