Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlight motors left and reight keeps turning 5-10 second after the headlight doors are closed.

When the headlight doors opens they stops after the doors are open, so thats OK.

The headlight motors also starts when I turn the parking light off and goes for around 5-10 second even though that the headlight doors not are open. When I turn the parking light on the headlight doors do not open, and that is also OK because I use the fog light as daytime running lamp so I do not need the headlight doors to be open.

Can any one tell me why my headlight motors left and reight keeps turning 5-10 second after the headlight doors are closed ?

Regards

Kim

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
You probably need to check the Delrin bushings in the headlight motor system. That's the usual suspect with later model C4's.

They're commonly available in the states for about $6. I've also heard of owners going to building supply stores and finding similar sized plastic bushings that also work.

Steven

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You probably need to check the Delrin bushings in the headlight motor system. That's the usual suspect with later model C4's.

They're commonly available in the states for about $6. I've also heard of owners going to building supply stores and finding similar sized plastic bushings that also work.

Steven
Hi Steven

Could you tell me why (technical reason) it should be the Delrin bushings

regards Kim

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Hi Steven

Could you tell me why (technical reason) it should be the Delrin bushings

regards Kim
As I understand the headlight motor system design, the bushings are designed to fail first in order to save the gear train between the motor and the headlight shaft. If the bushings aren't providing sufficient frictional force, then slippage occurs. In the '84 - '87 design, there were two nylon gears - when the condition you mention occurred, it was because the gear teeth had been stripped out of one or both nylon gears.

Steven

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I understand the headlight motor system design, the bushings are designed to fail first in order to save the gear train between the motor and the headlight shaft. If the bushings aren't providing sufficient frictional force, then slippage occurs. In the '84 - '87 design, there were two nylon gears - when the condition you mention occurred, it was because the gear teeth had been stripped out of one or both nylon gears.

Steven
Hi steven

Thank you for the explaination. I think I understand. I will take off one of the headlight motors and open it ( I have a spare one for the left one) and take it from there.

Thanks a lot again. :thumbsup:

regards

Kim

·
Registered
587 Posts
operating you head lights at speed

do not open or close you headlights at speed as the wind resistance put excess pressure on the drive mechanism cause premature wear

·
Daily News
2,373 Posts
Also, according to Gordon Killebrew, all C4s 1992 on up had plastic O.E.M. headlight lenses in order to reduce the strain on the headlight motors.

Be sure and replace your units with plastic and not glass headlights to extend your motor's service life.:thumbsup:

While you're waiting for your Delrin bushings to arrive, check out this Corvette Fever article!

http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/33098/index.html

·
Registered
63 Posts
mine is an 86 and it sounds like my headlight noise to only does it when it closes. Is it very hard to fix the bushing or i should say is it very hard and aggervating to take the motor apart. or should i find someone else to do it

·
Daily News
2,373 Posts
mine is an 86 and it sounds like my headlight noise to only does it when it closes. Is it very hard to fix the bushing or i should say is it very hard and aggervating to take the motor apart. or should i find someone else to do it
Your Vette has plastic gears and not bushings, (1988-96 models have Delrin bushings).

It's not hard, just a series of steps that have to be followed correctly in order to do the job properly. It's a good weekend project. The first side will take you longer than the second side as you ascend the learning curve. :thumbsup:

A dealership is going to charge you upwards of $350.00 (plus labor) per headlight as they'll only replace the entire motor assembly. Don't get raped at the stealership, do the job yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts