Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 LT1 Headlight question.

Just started noticing that when headlights are turned on, the headlight motors (both) continue to run on for about 10 seconds after they open. Same thing occurs when headlights are turned off - headlight motors (both) continue to run on for about 10 seconds. Lights open and close fine, except for this motor run-on.

What's broke or breaking here?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The headlight gear bushings are notorious for failing. It will eventually get to the point where the lights won't go up or down anymore, but for what it's worth, mine has been doing it for about a year with only one case of the light sticking in position. They make a kit to replace the bushings inside the gear, it's $9 from Mid America: http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-3-249-853.html It's not that hard to take the headlight motor apart, they have good instructions. You don't need the bronze gears, I haven't heard of anyone having the actual gear fail. I know I'll have to replace mine eventually, I already have the bushings, but if it's still working I figure I'll get all the life out of it I can first. :laughing:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts