Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put my dash back together and my headlights won't go up. I'm guessing that i reversed the two vac hoses on the light switch or messed up the switch itself. can I manually lift up the headlights to get me to work at 0 dark thirty tommorrow morning? The lights do come on, just don't raise, before my new interior job they did go up, so again I'm sure this is my doing but i need a temp fix until I can take the dash apart enough to reverse those two hoses. Does this make sense?

Ben

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok

I couldn't stand it anymore, i took it apart, reversed the hoses and they still don't work. from the drivers seat when i remove the far vac hose the headlights go right up. I'm thinking the switch needs replacing or i beat it up upon removal/re install. whatdya all think. If i turn on the lights and hoist em up, will they stay or shut right back?

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you raise them manually, I believe they will stay up all the time. Knock on wood, mine work fine so I have never had to mess with them, but I know the arm which operates them goes over-center to lock them open. That's why you shouldn't try to push them down. I do not know which operates them in which direction, vacuum applied or vacuum released. Never thought about it, since (knock on wood again!!) mine have not had a problem.
And, forgive me for bringing up noob question #3, but you do know about the 'lock up' knob under the dash, don't you? A bad vacuum connection there may be a place to look. (Pull it down when lights are up to keep lights up when headlight switch &/or engine turned off)
Again, I really have no first-hand knowledge about the headlight vacuum circuit. (Knock really hard on wood!!)

John

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
If you haven't got your vacuum hooked up, then the lights will stay up if you lift them manually...

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Got the AIM? AIM has a (questionable) diagram of the vacuum lines to the headlight switch and from the switch to the override under the steering column. Doesn't take much to reverse them. Check the lines at the switch (if memory serves they are coded blue and white) and the lines to the override switch.

Headlights work because they are on an electrical connection. Raising and lowering is, of course, vacuum.

:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts