Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone enlighten me on how to remove the headlight switch on my 87? There is no push pin or allen screw on the knob itself and I can't get my hand to it behind the dash to try to find a release button on the switch itself so what can you tell me?

·
Registered
501 Posts
my 86 has a little spring thingie (technical term) built into the knob...you take a tiny flathead screwdriver (an instrument screwdriver if you're into that), find the notch on the backside of the knob, and press the little thingie in the notch toward the back of the car...knob pops right off... you may need to bend the thingie back forward before reinstalling it to get it to grab the shaft

you can get a collection of nicer looking , easier to grab , headlight knobs from similar year GM other models at the junkyard in about 3 minutes once you figure the thingie out

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Jeff I was looking in your gallery and I noticed that your dash conversion has the headlight switch I want to convert to. Is that hooked up to your 89 wiring or is all the wiring in your new dash from the newer car? Can you tell me what wires are on the back of that switch so I can look at what it would take to put that in my car? Thanks.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
glasrtlr said:
my 86 has a little spring thingie (technical term) built into the knob...you take a tiny flathead screwdriver (an instrument screwdriver if you're into that), find the notch on the backside of the knob, and press the little thingie in the notch toward the back of the car...knob pops right off... you may need to bend the thingie back forward before reinstalling it to get it to grab the shaft

you can get a collection of nicer looking , easier to grab , headlight knobs from similar year GM other models at the junkyard in about 3 minutes once you figure the thingie out
I got it off that way. The previous owner glued the crap out of it. My "little spring thingie" is no longer there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts