Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm new to the forums as a member but I've been browsing around as a new owner of a 1987 Corvette. I've been having some problems with my dash lights not activating (specifically the instrument cluster), and after searching here and elsewhere I've pretty much come to the conclusion it's the headlight switch going bad.

My question is, is there an easy way to replace this switch? After looking under my dash I find that the switch is set above two solid AC vents and I can't get it from underneath, so I'm looking at removing the entire top of the dash and hoping I can get at it from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if the help is just 'That's the only way' :) Thanks

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Prob easier to remove fascia over dash cluster that switch is mounted in than take top off

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
you'll need to remove the plastic fascia around the dash and remove the top cover. both are easy just some screws and the dash top pulls straight out.

hints are to lower the steering wheel all the way then unscrew the steering wheel adjust lever on the side of the column. taking it out makes the plastic fascia easier to remove. The top will pull forward a few inches to release the slider clips from the front edge.

The switch does have full battery power to it so you'll need to disconnect the battery or be very careful not to short the wires.
when you put it back on make sure to engage the clips-- they shouldn't require much force.. and watch out for the underside of the dash in the middle above the vents. there is a little lip there that sometimes will catch on the underside of the dash in the last few inches.

·
Registered
170 Posts
you'll need to remove the plastic fascia around the dash and remove the top cover. both are easy just some screws and the dash top pulls straight out.

hints are to lower the steering wheel all the way then unscrew the steering wheel adjust lever on the side of the column. taking it out makes the plastic fascia easier to remove. The top will pull forward a few inches to release the slider clips from the front edge.

The switch does have full battery power to it so you'll need to disconnect the battery or be very careful not to short the wires.
when you put it back on make sure to engage the clips-- they shouldn't require much force.. and watch out for the underside of the dash in the middle above the vents. there is a little lip there that sometimes will catch on the underside of the dash in the last few inches.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
So, I'm new to the forums as a member but I've been browsing around as a new owner of a 1987 Corvette. I've been having some problems with my dash lights not activating (specifically the instrument cluster), and after searching here and elsewhere I've pretty much come to the conclusion it's the headlight switch going bad.

My question is, is there an easy way to replace this switch? After looking under my dash I find that the switch is set above two solid AC vents and I can't get it from underneath, so I'm looking at removing the entire top of the dash and hoping I can get at it from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if the help is just 'That's the only way'
:) Thanks
Bump. Here's a simplified way. Pull the headlights to the "ON" position. This means pull the knob out till it stops, which means the headlights will be on. With your right, reach under the dash a depress the small button on the switch. With your left hand, pull the knob all of the way out. Then you will have acess to the retainer. With a large screwdriver, remove the retainer and the headlight switch will slide out of the dash. When you unplug the switch, the headlights will go off, or you can disconnect the battery. If you don't understand about the small release button on the headlight switch, look at a new one. You will see the button. It must be fully depressed. Just a reference for everybody. :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts