Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have stated this before but again last night I ran another test to confirm that headlight position has a big impact on cooling.
I manually control 2 large fans, each a seperate switch. I also run a very good cooling system with a large aluminum rad, high capacity pump and driven 30% overdrive. The system works.
I control the temp. I can control if I run at 180, 190 or 200.
My first half hour run on the expressways running about 70 mph, no fans at all it stabalizes around 192. Turn on one fan and it drops to 180's.
A couple of hours later I was running the same run but this time it was cooler, dusk had set in and I did the same thing.
No fans, 70 mph, lite traffic but the HEAD LIGHTS WERE ON and the temp got away from me. NO FANS and it crept to 210, put on both fans and couldn't get it below 190.
This is not a new discoverly. I have often noted this trend over the years.
It appears our headlights in the down position actually aid cooling.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I have stated this before but again last night I ran another test to confirm that headlight position has a big impact on cooling.
I manually control 2 large fans, each a seperate switch. I also run a very good cooling system with a large aluminum rad, high capacity pump and driven 30% overdrive. The system works.
I control the temp. I can control if I run at 180, 190 or 200.
My first half hour run on the expressways running about 70 mph, no fans at all it stabalizes around 192. Turn on one fan and it drops to 180's.
A couple of hours later I was running the same run but this time it was cooler, dusk had set in and I did the same thing.
No fans, 70 mph, lite traffic but the HEAD LIGHTS WERE ON and the temp got away from me. NO FANS and it crept to 210, put on both fans and couldn't get it below 190.
This is not a new discoverly. I have often noted this trend over the years.
It appears our headlights in the down position actually aid cooling.
With todays projector beam headlights like in the C6, I think somone could design a covered unit with very little "bump". It doesn't get any better than the lines of the Shark headlights down IMO.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
With todays projector beam headlights like in the C6, I think somone could design a covered unit with very little "bump". It doesn't get any better than the lines of the Shark headlights down IMO.
Well, take a look at my vette pix here, or on my site....I used camaro bulbs in the install, and moved them forward about 1/2 way mounted on the Eckler's sugar scoop trays....I just wanted a change....but the really nice part is, there is tons of room NOW, for airflow through the assy, and out the back openings....never had had a problem with hot running on the road....untill the Spals install, only got hot around town....
I have an Atf cooler, a/c working, and now air cleaners up front there...
I was a bit concerned about the clutter blocking airflow....but not an issue....

I would have thought the stock lights being DOWN would hurt cooling, in the up position there is nothing to block airlfow...NO????

I remember up in Maryland I had to have a front tag....not needing it here in Florida, it was a few months of hot freeway running before I found that tag assy hid a open grill.....upon removing that stupid tag junk....the hot running on the roads went away....simple increased airflow....:thumbsup:

my main problems allways were coming off the freeway in summer, and hitting stand still stop/go traffic in say 3pm summer weather...road temps have to be 140f or so....fry eggs....but the spals killed that issue entirely....

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would have thought the stock lights being DOWN would hurt cooling, in the up position there is nothing to block airlfow...NO????

No it is the other way around.Down aids cooling. This is something I have known for many years. I head out to the cruise nights in bright sunshine and return at dusk. My car is ALWAYS hotter on the return trip due to the light up.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
No it is the other way around.Down aids cooling. This is something I have known for many years. I head out to the cruise nights in bright sunshine and return at dusk. My car is ALWAYS hotter on the return trip due to the light up.
Dayum....:crazy: any clue as to WHY?? that just don't make sense to me....

lights down, yout got about a squre foot of block possible airflow....lights up, the whole bottom below the bumper (in my case '72) is open to flow....

weird.....:WTF

just curious to test maybe i'ts uphill coming home, and downhill to cruise???

wonder what happens maybe just run the lights up/on in daytime same thing and then turn them off during the run....??

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
I've found that there is no noticable difference between headlights up or down.

You would think up would be better because nothing is in the way.

I cut out that big plate right behind the license and find that does make some difference but not a lot. I did it mostly to rid the front of weight.

You probably have spoiler issues. Some say that you should not need any fans on at highway speeds. I've always had a mechanical fan and find when the clutch wears out and slips more it does overheat on the highway. There is a reason they put a heavy duty fan clutch on these cars.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts

I cut out that big plate right behind the license and find that does make some difference but not a lot. I did it mostly to rid the front of weight.

You probably have spoiler issues. Some say that you should not need any fans on at highway speeds. I've always had a mechanical fan and find when the clutch wears out and slips more it does overheat on the highway. There is a reason they put a heavy duty fan clutch on these cars.

TV, I swear, everybody talks about these damn spoilers on front like they are some sort of cure or something.....I really seriously don't think they do crap for a shark, anyway....it's a style thing, not a cooling aid....
you look at the front lo shot of my car, you see NO lower 'spoiler' on there, it drags the ground too much, so off it came, and never been an issue on cooling....the rad is fine at freeway speeds...make that 40+ mph....

MY issue was stop/go traffic, and the spals cured THAT for the first time....

and it cleaned up the silly wasted space of that stock shroud/fan/craziness under there FINALLY.....

:thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I've found that there is no noticable difference between headlights up or down.Same here.

You would think up would be better because nothing is in the way.I agree

You probably have spoiler issues. Some say that you should not need any fans on at highway speeds. Correct. Once the speed of the car is pushing air faster than the fan, the fan just cuts air. That's why the clutch in the first place.I've always had a mechanical fan and find when the clutch wears out and slips more it does overheat on the highway. There is a reason they put a heavy duty fan clutch on these cars.
I am sure Norvall is stating a fact when it comes to his set-up. But, his is so custom, who knows the cause.:D

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
you look at the front lo shot of my car, you see NO lower 'spoiler' on there, :
me neither. Cooling is a complex issue. I think the spoiler might help under some circumstances.

Remember the caprice C3s had the area behind the license plate totally blocked so the spoiler might be needed on those cars.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
On my 76' it IS a cooling aid. That little front spoiler is all you can see of a much larger molded piece that directs the air straight to the radiator. Also, with the headlights down, there is still a clear line through the front grills to the radiator. The headlights (in down position) do not impede that line at all.

Now that I have said all that, headlight position has made no impact on the temp of my engine. Just 2 weeks ago I was driving on US25 in New Mexico. It was 80+ degrees and Rjent and I were running 90mph for about 10 minutes. I remembered Strider posting this info earlier and decided to try it. I drove another 10 minutes with the headlights up. THere was Zero change in temp between the two instances.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since it is usually cooler at night, do you see it as a big problem?
No it is not but it requires at least one fan on all the time. It is just an observation. Running a thermostat and a normal fan most would not see this.
I also found running without the small spoiler under the nose did the same thing. That little 3 inch or so spoiler is important.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Because you run a fan you will not notice the increased load on the cooling system. I notice it because I run WITHOUT a fan on the open road in daylight. My cooling system is fine and with fans running it sticks below 200 regardless of the heat and stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TV, I swear, everybody talks about these damn spoilers on front like they are some sort of cure or something.....I really seriously don't think they do crap for a shark, anyway....it's a style thing, not a cooling aid....

:thumbsup: :cheers:
Here again unless you have NO fan's running how do you know it does crap???
Try running without the fan and without the spoiler, note the temperature it stabalizes at and rerun the test with adding that little spoiler, that little crap thing and you will see it aids cooling. It is NOT for looks. I would delete it if I could. I ran without it for a short time and relized I need it.

How many here control engine temp manually like I do.. NO automatic fans , no thermostat. If I am cruising I let it run 190-195 but if I am about to play I quickly in a few miles bring it down to 180.

I run 2 large 16 inch tornado fans, one high and in front and one low and behind, they overlap each other and both are on individual manual controls.
I also run a warning light at 215 in case I get careless

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now that I have said all that, headlight position has made no impact on the temp of my engine. Just 2 weeks ago I was driving on US25 in New Mexico. It was 80+ degrees and Rjent and I were running 90mph for about 10 minutes. I remembered Strider posting this info earlier and decided to try it. I drove another 10 minutes with the headlights up. THere was Zero change in temp between the two instances.
If you run a fan you won't notice the increased load. Again I run without a fan on th open road so any little change like drafting the guy in front can make a difference. You only notice the little things if you are relying totally on free flowing air at speed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts