Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if any vendor makes/sells a block off plate to replace my heater box.

I no longer use my heat, so I figured Id pull my heater box to give me more access to the passenger side of the engine. Of course if I pull the box Ill have a gaping hole in my firewall. Im sure I could fabricate one but does anybody know of any others out there?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man, ill check it out!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I gotta chime in here and say that if being a hillybilly means I get to build and drive THIS...then I am more than proud to be a hillybilly. :partyon::partyon::partyon:

OP - True a transmission pan as an air box delete is not for everyone. It fit my needs perfectly, I had several on hand, and it was free. It's sealed and fastened perfectly and I think it looks great in the engine bay. Not Bubba to me by any stretch.

Good luck with your project whichever way you go. Deleting the air box sure frees up a LOT of space on that side of the engine. I do miss having heat of some sort when I need defrost on wet glass fogging days but that's about it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, I thought it actually looked pretty clean... easier than making something thats for sure! Car looks great by the way!

Did you just use self tapping screws to secure it into the firewall? What was the tranny pan from?

I gotta chime in here and say that if being a hillybilly means I get to build and drive THIS...then I am more than proud to be a hillybilly. :partyon::partyon::partyon:

OP - True a transmission pan as an air box delete is not for everyone. It fit my needs perfectly, I had several on hand, and it was free. It's sealed and fastened perfectly and I think it looks great in the engine bay. Not Bubba to me by any stretch.

Good luck with your project whichever way you go. Deleting the air box sure frees up a LOT of space on that side of the engine. I do miss having heat of some sort when I need defrost on wet glass fogging days but that's about it.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Lol, I thought it actually looked pretty clean... easier than making something thats for sure! Car looks great by the way!

Did you just use self tapping screws to secure it into the firewall? What was the tranny pan from?

Thank you for the compliment.

I used the pan to mark the mounting holes. I then drilled and used course thread screws. The fiberglass is fairly thick and holds it wonderfully. I sealed it with a bead of silicon.

The bottom edge goes down past the bottom of the firewall by about an inch. I ran a thick bead of silicon under sealing the pan rail to the firewall as it starts to slope down under the car.

Finally, I used an angle grinder to trim a tiny bit off of the pan rail corner closest to the engine. I cut it to fit the contour of the firewall around that back corner of the engine.

To be honest I am happier with it than I would have been if I'd paid near $200 for one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The trans pan doesn't look bad at all. If Matt hadn't told me it was one I'd never known cause with it being black and the firewall black it blended perfectly. Unless you're looking for it or just plain starring in that spot then you wouldn't probably notice it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
TOP STUFF D-B , think its the perfect solution. I am a mechanic but boy i do a lot of bubba/hillbilly stuff myself just because i dont have the cash to do otherwise!! and when you want to drive your vette you do what it takes.:thumbsup:
people that come online and flame someones car/efforts realy give me the shits as they dont know the whole story at all so zip it. this is not aimed at anyone in particullar just all the big mouths. sorry to hijack but felt the need to vent/rant.:WTF:thud:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks man! Yeah, I definitely wouldnt pay that much for the acdelete kit....something can be made for MUCH less than that, like you did. Ill probably end up trying what you did if I get around to pulling the box. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Thank you for the compliment.

I used the pan to mark the mounting holes. I then drilled and used course thread screws. The fiberglass is fairly thick and holds it wonderfully. I sealed it with a bead of silicon.

The bottom edge goes down past the bottom of the firewall by about an inch. I ran a thick bead of silicon under sealing the pan rail to the firewall as it starts to slope down under the car.

Finally, I used an angle grinder to trim a tiny bit off of the pan rail corner closest to the engine. I cut it to fit the contour of the firewall around that back corner of the engine.

To be honest I am happier with it than I would have been if I'd paid near $200 for one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have just done what you are talking about,i cut the heater box down to,or even with the fan and then i got some sheet metal and cut it to the shape of the heater box and put a couple screws in and then bondo the ends to make it look better.It looks great and its going to give me ALOT more room in the engine compartment.I just primered it tonight and will paint tomorrow.i will take pics after its done. and bolted up also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts