Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new HEI distributor from AIP Electronics, and the instructions are rather feable. So I'm looking for how to correctly hook mine up to my '71.

So question #1: installation

Here's what I have at the fuse box:

and here's what I have for wires at the current non-HEI distributor:

I bought some 12gauge wire if I need to run my BAT distributor connection back to my fuseblock. I have some female plugs to go in any of the 3: IGN, BAT, ACC openings. I'm going to assume that the BAT connection is not one to use as it's always on regardless of ignition key position.

If I run my wire to any of those 3 connections, do I need to put another fuse on the wire or is that male connection already fused in the box?

The existing wires going to the + on the coil, are those sufficient or is one a resistance wire that won't get me the full +12v the distributor needs?

And no, I haven't traced where that existing pink wire on the IGN connector is going.

Question #2: plug wires
I have the 350ci/270hp and just need a good set of HEI plug wires. The guys at Advance Auto are getting to know me a bit too much as they sell Accell brand wires but said if I want the best go find MSD brand wires. I see that MSD sells several different models of wires. I'm looking to stay with the 90 degree elbows on each end. Is that the only difference between the models?

My wife and 5yo son are gone for 3 days, so trying to get some work done.

As always, thanks.
Jeff

·
Registered
910 Posts
I just got my new HEI distributor from AIP Electronics, and the instructions are rather feable. So I'm looking for how to correctly hook mine up to my '71.

So question #1: installation

Here's what I have at the fuse box:

and here's what I have for wires at the current non-HEI distributor:

I bought some 12gauge wire if I need to run my BAT distributor connection back to my fuseblock. I have some female plugs to go in any of the 3: IGN, BAT, ACC openings. I'm going to assume that the BAT connection is not one to use as it's always on regardless of ignition key position.
Use IGN

If I run my wire to any of those 3 connections, do I need to put another fuse on the wire or is that male connection already fused in the box?
No

The existing wires going to the + on the coil, are those sufficient or is one a resistance wire that won't get me the full +12v the distributor needs?
Don't use them, tape them well, onto the existing harness. Use only the new 12v lead.

And no, I haven't traced where that existing pink wire on the IGN connector is going.

Question #2: plug wires
I have the 350ci/270hp and just need a good set of HEI plug wires. The guys at Advance Auto are getting to know me a bit too much as they sell Accell brand wires but said if I want the best go find MSD brand wires. I see that MSD sells several different models of wires. I'm looking to stay with the 90 degree elbows on each end. Is that the only difference between the models?
A lot of hype on wires. Nothing wrong with Accel, personal choice.
If you have original cast iron manifolds and want to run as original get the set long enough with the 90° boots that fit under the shielding.
If you have original cast iron manifolds and want to run over the valve covers, you have to use straight boots.
If you have headers, you can run over the valve covers and use 90° boots

My wife and 5yo son are gone for 3 days, so trying to get some work done.

As always, thanks.
Jeff
Hope tha helps a bit.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope tha helps a bit.
Yep, confirms what I had been thinking.

I plan on running all my wires underneath the manifolds, with #1, #2, #3, and #4 wires running down to a clip on the oil pan and then up through the engine mount and to the spark plugs. That keeps them out of the way and away from heat.

As for plugs, I'm still a bit confused. After much Googling and reading, there wasn't much fact about whether the low resistance MSD wires were any better about generating more horsepower. One site I read talked about how low resistance is just hype while another article said that the resistance did matter. :smack

:huh:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Yep, confirms what I had been thinking.

I plan on running all my wires underneath the manifolds, with #1, #2, #3, and #4 wires running down to a clip on the oil pan and then up through the engine mount and to the spark plugs. That keeps them out of the way and away from heat.

As for plugs, I'm still a bit confused. After much Googling and reading, there wasn't much fact about whether the low resistance MSD wires were any better about generating more horsepower. One site I read talked about how low resistance is just hype while another article said that the resistance did matter. :smack

:huh:
Get any name brand plug wires with >8mm diameter and you will be ok.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Get any name brand plug wires with >8mm diameter and you will be ok.
I agree, spark plug wire does not generate horse power.

The wiring to the distributor are the same for the old and new they are just in a different location...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with these from JEGS ($77 + $13shipping):

MSD Ignition #121-31769
# Red Super Conductor 8.5mm Wires1975-82 Corvette 350 with HEI cap
# Boots: 90° & HEI
# Long wires below exhaust manifold
# Coil wire not included

No one around here had these in stock and most of the chain auto shops don't carry the high-end stuff. I'm just hoping they're long enough for the front plugs when running it down to the clip on the oil pan flange. I guess we'll find out and post. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts