Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rewired my converted, hall effect HEI distributor (1976) for a Mallory hall effect, small cap/external coil setup yesterday. The only wiring issue is in respect to the external coil and it is the same issue converting with a carb setup.

The HEI distributor has this 5 wire setup looking down and from the drivers side. Obviously there are only 2 posts for the external coil.

C- / GND / B+
Tach / Battery

Where does the brown (labeled C-) wire for the HEI coil go? And where does the black (labeled gnd) wire for the HEI coil go?

What I have done currently is the following, but I want to double check things with you guys.

1. C- and Tach wires went to the Negative side of the external coil.
2. GND went to a chassis ground
3. B+ and Battery or Power wire went to the Positive side of the external coil.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I rewired my converted, hall effect HEI distributor (1976) for a Mallory hall effect, small cap/external coil setup yesterday. The only wiring issue is in respect to the external coil and it is the same issue converting with a carb setup.

The HEI distributor has this 5 wire setup looking down and from the drivers side. Obviously there are only 2 posts for the external coil.

C- / GND / B+
Tach / Battery

Where does the brown (labeled C-) wire for the HEI coil go? And where does the black (labeled gnd) wire for the HEI coil go?

What I have done currently is the following, but I want to double check things with you guys.

1. C- and Tach wires went to the Negative side of the external coil.
2. GND went to a chassis ground
3. B+ and Battery or Power wire went to the Positive side of the external coil.
U R correct, but I have to assume the external coil is one that does NOT require an external resistor in the hot lead, which acts like a current limiter...
it depends on the coil design....I not familiar with these aftermarket kits too much, except I fail to see the need above an HEI....assuming it's not an over rich racing carb, where a MSD can fire the mix a bit better to smooth out the idle....

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks a lot Mrvette. Not sure about the resistor, nothing instruction wise came with the coil as far as I can remember, but I will double check.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
which coil are you using? I installed an MSD blaster HVC II coil. maybe my instructions that came with the coil and dizzy could help.

Kevin

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's an EFI coil, I'll go try to get the brand off it and post, the bracket is covering it up atm...It's a Mallory Coil for EFI setups.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Need help. Coil isn't firing and heated up pretty hot as well as the ignition box. Obviously my wiring is a problem.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Need help. Coil isn't firing and heated up pretty hot as well as the ignition box. Obviously my wiring is a problem.
Crap, you need to get someone on site with a good digital volt meter to help you, i'ts mighty difficult to see what you have, let alone every aftermarket possible combo of parts.....

IMO...I would stick with a stock HEI and call it quits....

hopefully someone else can help...

need good clear pix of what is, at a minimum for starters....:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
What mr_vette is trying so hard to say is:

:cheers:

·
Registered
910 Posts

To use a remote coil with the HEI

Looking at the hei module installed with the dist cap off.

Left side (opposite pickup side) inner terminal on module - wire goes to +plus side of coil and then to switched 12v source.

Left side outer terminal on module - to -side of coil and then to tach. This is your coil trigger wire

Sorry, best I can do without a diag:D

Napa IC12 is a decent coil to use.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I have looked through all of my instruction and diagrams,but they are no help for your setup,the dizz and coil have to be used with an ignition box so all diagrams are wired with the box,sorry.
Are you using an ignition box?

Kevin

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
All of my original dizz wires go directly to the ignition box and 2 wires off the box go to the coil,and the box is also wired to the dizz. im using the MSD 6a box.

oh heck im going to send you a pm,stand buy

Kevin

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I uploaded a bunch of pics to 'my pictures". I now have switched back to the old HEI distributor (converted for hall effect for the edelbrock proflo efi setup).

No spark now either AND I am getting an error message on my EFI control module. "Warning high/low voltage".

Thanks are getting worse I think...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, I did a voltage test with the key on. Battery was 12.2V and the big red Battery power wire to the coil was 11.88V. Think this system needs 10.5V to operate, so I'm guessing the problem lies between the main harness power wire and the ignition box. Going to relook at the timing too because the distr cap is all awkward looking, might have it off by a couple of teeth.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Didn't read the part about you using EFI:D

from the amplifier, you should have a cable with brown, black and red.

at the dist end
Brown = coil negative
Black = grounded to block
Red = coil postive and ignition full 12 volts

Hope you didn't torch anything.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's exactly how I wired it, not sure what the deal is, maybe my timing is just way off?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK guess I didn't have the pics uploaded properly. They are pending now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts