Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not much of a joiner, but here I am. I am wanting to sell my 1974 original Survivor Corvette with only 26,000 miles, and I am looking for any avenue to get the word out that I can find. It seems to me that there is such a diverse idea of what "original" and "survivor " means. I see it as completely unmodified, like rolling off the showroom floor. As I read other ads and look at cars over the country in my travels last year, a Vette needs to be all shinnied up, possibly repainted, and "ground up restored" and is still called original. Mine has been carefully maintained all it's life, even the tires are original, but yes, there is some surface rust in the underside, that could be removed with naval jelly. But is that a crime? What is the guideline for original? :huh:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
That car sounds fantastic. Are you the original owner?

Welcome to digitalcorvettes, we are glad you decided to be a "joiner".:laughing:

:thumbsup:

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
welcome aboard...i think a survivor is a car that hasn't had something major replaced..ie paint...rebuilt motor..re-worked interior...

·
DC Crew
3,482 Posts
Welcome that car sound pretty good. I like to hear that there are still survivors out there.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Welcome to DC Bluechip :buhbye:

I asked this question at a car show last year what determines "Original" vs "Modified". A judge told me that it basically comes down to adding or replacing 4 or 5 things on the car. I thought it would be something major (exhaust, paint, engine etc…) but he stated that “anything” pushes the car into a “Modified” league. He pointed out that a steering wheel cover; a sticker on the windshield, non-stock/non-original oil filter or any other small change and your car is classified as “Modified”.

Guess the guideline depends on your buyer and how picky they are.

Good Luck

:cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is "Original?"

Thank you for all the replies. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with my viewpoint.:agree: I will try to post a photo of the car, but I haven't figured out how yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is original?

:excited: Whoops, I am sorry that I did not answer a question. I am not the original owner. It was bought in Cincinnati, and lived close to the dealership until we purchased it in 2002. It has been pampered, and preserved.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Survivor

The Bloomington Gold Survivor benchmark is:

Cars certified as "survivor" are more than 20 years old, have completed a 40-mile road test and remain more than 50 percent unrestored or unmodified in at least three of four areas: interior, exterior, chassis and engine/under-hood compartment.

"Original" can mean either a survivor or a complete restoration to return the car to the way it was (fresh) when it left the assembly line.

Survivors are seen as benchmarks of originality & probably the most "desireable" Corvettes out there due to their rareity. Sounds like you have quite a nice ride there!

As for your rust, I'd suggest you neutralize it with Ospho [http://www.ospho.com]

C'ya
D

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :)

How much you asking for your car, and why do you want to sell it. :huh:

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
I've never been big on joining stuff either, but you've come to the right place. WELCOME! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
:buhbye: Welcome:buhbye:
While i do think origanal/stock is O.K.To me "origanal" means one of a kind,i'm slowly working on that.I really want a chop-top C5.In todays world,there are some customs that get more than stockers(except the rare one's).
I did not buy the car for an investment.Race,mod,customize and slam that baby.But ya gotta love america,you can do it how you want.
I imagine it takes a lot of work to keep the car origanal,low miles,and stay in good shape.

One other thing,you joined a great site.:thumbsup: :buhbye:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts