Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, This a big question how hard is it to install a chevy create Ram Jet 350 C.I.D. 350 HP Engine in to a 1959 Corvette you see my friend owns the vette and wants more power and a more modern fuel system like fuel injection and we think a chevy create Ram Jet would be right and run and look great also he would like to change the 4 speed transmission to a automatic because he is 6'4" and has a bad back and a bad left leg which makes it very hard for him use the clutch to drive his BABY on beautiful days is there a book or a webb site or can some one refer us to some one that has done this vette mod and can guide us and maybe in light us with the pros and cons to this modification any help would be of great appreciation . Thank you for your time :cheers:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, since the above mentioned web site is about my wife’s car, I will add a few comments about the Ram Jet 350.

One of the problems in installing this engine in a C1 is hood clearance. If you use the stock engine mounts the top of the intake plenum will probably interfere with the reinforcing rib on the bottom of the hood. There have been a few who have had no problems in this area, I guess it depends on the body shims that your car has. The measurement from the top of the flat part of the block (the “China wall”) to the top of the plenum is 9.75” , so you can measure your car and see if it will fit. On my wife’s car we changed the entire front section of the frame to accommodate C4 suspension and used side motor mounts which lowered the engine about 1.5” so we did not have a clearance problem.

You will also need a high pressure fuel pump and associated steel lines and filters and a return line from the fuel pressure regulator (located on the engine) back to the tank. There are C1 tanks available with submersible fuel pumps, but we used an in line pump mounted near the tank on the inside of the frame.

The Ram Jet 350 comes with a “long” water pump so you will most likely need to replace that with a “short” one.

The throttle linkage on the Ram Jet is on the right (passenger) side so there will have to be some changes made to accommodate that problem.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Charles

1 - 3 of 3 Posts