Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some serious help here... :crazy:

I have had aftermarket wheels and tire pressure sensors for about 2 years now and the TPS never read correctly, always "XX". This was not affecting performance however, as I could still cycle thru all my TC/AH options. A few months ago I suddenly got a message on the DIC that the left rear tire was flat.:lookinup: But in reality, it is not. Suddenly, I can only turn the TC ON or OFF... no Comp Mode, no All Off mode. Here is where the BIG PROBLEM comes into play: I get a horrible wobble at high speeds under heavy acceleration from my Active Handling kicking on. :eek: It is so bad, it's like jerking the wheel 30+ degrees from side to side!!! Now every once and a while during a long drive the TPS will go back to "XX" and I can use all functions, but I need a FIX for this issue...

What can I do so that the TPS wont affect my AH/TC...??? Can I take the sensors all out? Can I pull a fuse...???

PLEASE HELP ME OUT !!! :huh:

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I had a terrible time with my '05 and aftermarket wheels.
Initially, I ran no sensors, constantly being annoyed by the DIC.
After an X amount of time or distance the car then goes into "limp home" mode. It's all programmed into Big Brother. At the time, tuners hadn't cracked the code. Now? I haven't kept up. Ask/check around. Call Jeremy Formato (a DC sponsor).
Factory TPS's wouldn't fit my wheels. Went directly to the company that makes them for the General. They sent me TPS's that fit but nobody could make them communicate properly (dealer included).
It was such a cluster flukk that I gave up, eBayed the wheels, lost my shirt on them and put on the stock wheels. The benefit of returning to stock wheels was that I no longer gave a ratzazz about curb rash.

So, guys, what's the current inteligence report on TPS's?

(Note to self: Never EVER be a guinea pig for Boyd Coddington)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today I called a "mod-friendly" GM service tech and asked his opinion. He said to throw on my stock wheels/tires and see if the problem persists. If it does, then it is the "brain" of the TPS and not the sensors themselves, and is therefor under warranty (we swap a new one in etc.), but I will still potentially have the issue come up again. Tomorrow I am going to call a local Corvette specific shop who the tech told me is good with electronics and see if they can totally disable the TPS system altogether... If they can't do that, I might make a pressure tank out of PVC and put all 4 sensors in it (CF member did it)...

Oh and by the way, I was just out driving for an hour and the flat tire indicator went off, all systems go... SOB electronic crap! :crazy:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts