Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I turn it on and on start it sounds like a grinding screach. Heavy vibrations I can still drive it and it sounds less bad while moving but when you put the clutch in the vibrations start again. So I try and turn it off. The mother f/er doesnt turn off it just keeps vibrating and shaking. So now im turning it on hearing that dreadful screaching on start and off again and it wont turn off. After about 5 times on and off I got it to stop. I dont know what just happened I fear its very bad. It cant be the clutch beacuse I could still engage it and move the car. I checked inside the bay all looks good there. Has anyone ever had their c5 not turn off and shake.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be I heard the grinding screaching at the point of start up. It had been making that noise for two days. I took the key out and it was still shaking and **** but you could tell it wasnt really on fully. I think you hit something there if the starter wont stop that could explain me not being able to turn it off. Thx for the fast reply

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry to hear about your trouble,I have a 2000 coupe as well....................I'm a little nervous right now,I hope this doesn't happen to mine.If it does,it will probably end my Corvette days,I barely have enough money to keep mine going much less something for major like this.I'm doing good just to take care of tires and other wear and tear items. I wish you the best of luck,let us know how everything turns out.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Something that baffles me when I read stories like this. Why in hell would you drive the car with it sounding and running like that? Didn't you think that driving it would make it worse? Surely you didn't think it would fix itself! :crazy:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just backed it up to see if the tranny and stuff worked. The real painful part for the engine is when you try to turn it off and it keeps tryin to start.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had a 1990 Thunderbird SC and had the same problem with the starter not disengaging. I ended up having to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Turned out (thankfully) that it was the starter relay melting down and simply replacing the starter (it was part of the starter) took care of it. The cars days were numbered after that adventure because that was just the last straw in a long line of issues...

I will cry if my Vette starts to have issues like that...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the starter didnt break off the block it just wouldnt disengage. I unpluged the battery then turned it on two times and it came back. But after a long nights rests you can hear it grind and it will do it again. So im gonna have to replace the starter soon. But for everyone cut the power if it happens to you and it will help free it up.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
So the starter didnt break off the block it just wouldnt disengage. I unpluged the battery then turned it on two times and it came back. But after a long nights rests you can hear it grind and it will do it again. So im gonna have to replace the starter soon. But for everyone cut the power if it happens to you and it will help free it up.
If you are thinking right, you've already replaced that starter or you are not driving that car. The strange sound you hear is the starter against the flywheel. Do you know how much it cost and how much work it is to replace the flywheel? All of a sudden, a somewhat simple and inexpensive repair turns into a God awful one. The engine will have to come out of the car. That is not a fun repair.

That's why these cars do not make good daily drivers if it is the only car you have.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I don't get it... why does this problem make these cars not good DDs?
You have to ask the question completely. I said that these cars don't make good daily drivers as your only car.

When something breaks and you don't have the capability or the facilities to do the repair yourself then all of a sudden, you're at the mercy of some dealership's bottle of KY-Jelly. Let's face it, C5's are cheap to buy but not cheap to own (that's if you stay on top of your repairs and periodic maintenance). I just changed my oil yesterday. It cost me $72 for 8 quarts of Mobil 1 oil and a Mobil 1 filter. I could have skimped out and bought some cheap stuff but that's not the way I roll. I've seen cars that are owned by guys who skimp and their motors usually look like crap and are evident of their shade tree ways. Don't even get me started on their paint and interior.

If you are a struggling college student or working a dead end job flipping burgers, this is not the car you want to have as a daily driver. I'm not saying that the OP fits this category in any way, I'm just saying.

So you don't agree? :huh:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You have to ask the question completely. I said that these cars don't make good daily drivers as your only car.

When something breaks and you don't have the capability or the facilities to do the repair yourself then all of a sudden, you're at the mercy of some dealership's bottle of KY-Jelly. Let's face it, C5's are cheap to buy but not cheap to own (that's if you stay on top of your repairs and periodic maintenance). I just changed my oil yesterday. It cost me $72 for 8 quarts of Mobil 1 oil and a Mobil 1 filter. I could have skimped out and bought some cheap stuff but that's not the way I roll. I've seen cars that are owned by guys who skimp and their motors usually look like crap and are evident of their shade tree ways. Don't even get me started on their paint and interior.

If you are a struggling college student or working a dead end job flipping burgers, this is not the car you want to have as a daily driver. I'm not saying that the OP fits this category in any way, I'm just saying.

I don't understand why you would own a car you can't afford to maintain in the first place. :crazy: I understand that sometimes things can go bad and cost a lot, but that's why I always had a credit card with a 5k limit for car repairs only. My 06 was my DD and only car I owned for a year. I figured if something bad happen then I would just rent a car for the few days I need to get the item repaired.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I don't understand why you would own a car you can't afford to maintain in the first place. :crazy:
:agree:

But not all people think that way. I've seen guys buy these cars and as soon as something went wrong with, it was parked for months while they saved up the money to get them fixed. Another thing that blows me away is that they will buy insurance for a select amount of months and then drop the insurance when winter rolls around. That means you can't drive the car on very nice winter days, which would drive me crazy since I do it all the time. That also means that you end up paying more for your insurance in the long run.

Like I said before, these cars are cheap to buy, but not cheap to own.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
:agree:

But not all people think that way. I've seen guys buy these cars and as soon as something went wrong with, it was parked for months while they saved up the money to get them fixed. Another thing that blows me away is that they will buy insurance for a select amount of months and then drop the insurance when winter rolls around. That means you can't drive the car on very nice winter days, which would drive me crazy since I do it all the time. That also means that you end up paying more for your insurance in the long run.

Like I said before, these cars are cheap to buy, but not cheap to own.
I hardly get to enjoy my cars at all, this year I never even went back to the states. I am told they still drive nice by my mother and sister. :laughing:

·
Registered
362 Posts
No, i don't agree. With that line of thinking, you'd be in the same boat no matter what car you had if it was your only car. You'll be facing the same problem with any modern car. Nothing is cheap to work on these days. :huh:

P.S. You can get 6qt cases of Mobil 1 at CostCo for like $40. I have three cases sitting my garage! Plus, i've been reading there's a current run of coupons out there taking $9 off the price! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,514 Posts

These cars are used in Los Angeles everyday of the year as daily drivers :laughing:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok thx junkman its only done it twice since then but now ill get right on it. Ive got 76 000 miles on my clutch so im gonna have to replace it one day ill just do the flywheel at the same time. I do think it can cost a lot of money. Spent 600 dollars just to the the fricking pop up lights to pop.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts