Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can give me some help or point me in the right direction. Here is the scoop:

Car is a 2000 C5. Bought the car about 1 month ago. Have driven it three times. I get ready to take my first 200 mile run today. I get in the car, start it up and the check engine light is on. The light was NOT on when i parked the car the last time it was out.

Here is what i have checked:
1. Gas cap is on tight. Filled up last week with Shell 93 octane.
2. Car has not been wet or in the rain.
3. I disconnected the battery, turned the headlights on, and then reconnected the battery. Light still on constantly.

My friend has one of those orange diagnostic scanners. Is this the best way to find out what it is.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best Code check method

So what is the best method to check the codes. With the scan tool my friend has or through the car itsself?

I know i have heard mention of retreiving the codes through the car but dont know how. Can i F$%^ anything up by checking them through the car?

Sorry to be so paranoid, this is my first vette and want to be extra careful :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Codes

So i checked the codes through the cars onboard diagnostic.
Here are the codes output:

BO-RFA -- U1096 H
-- U1016 H
-- U1064 H

TCS C1255 H

Ill try to lookup these codes but if anyone can tell me what they actually coorelate to i would greatly appreciate it.

I reset the codes and then restarted the car. The light was no longer on after the reset. What would you do, drive the car and see if it comes back on?

Thanks again.

·
Mo-Fo
7,509 Posts
All of the codes with an H after them are past codes. The H means history.
The U1016 is a loss of communication with the PCM
the U1064 is loss of communication with the BCM
the U1096 is loss of communication with the IPC

All three are past codes. Don't know what the BO-RFA is. Doesn't look like you have any present codes causing problems. Just reset and drive. If your light comes on again, it wouldn't hurt to have it checked out at a garage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
codes

Yeah, i just thought about something. I bet when I disconnected the battery it cleared the code i needed. Im betting the codes being displayed are from reconnecting the battery.

Unless anyone has any ideas im going to drive it and see if the light comes back on.

Lets pray it doesn't.

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
you should be allright i hope everything is ok for you i know the feeling this vette is your baby and you dont want anything to go wrong but as the saying goes sh t happens best of luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Found out what was wrong with my check engine light.....vacuum line coming off of the vacuum egr solenoid was cracked and broken under the battery tray..... :WTF

At one point the previous owner must have taken it in for some sort of repair and it was done then......

So, now I have to take it in and get it repaired.

Maybe this will help?

:huh:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,524 Posts
The CEL can come on for a 100 different reasons. It is also meant to reset itself after a certain number of ignition cycles with out a failure. Drive it and if a code reappears check it out then

1 - 9 of 9 Posts