Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got one I just can't figure-please help. My neice has a 2002 Cavalier 4cyl, auto. Something is causing the plastic base of the stop light bulbs to melt and char. This of course causes the brake lights to quit working-sometimes one sometimes both. I've changed the bulbs several times but the same thing happens (the base of the bulb melts and burns). Before the bulbs melt they work fine and all other lights work also. I've checked the fuse (20A) and it is correct. Any ideas about what could cause the base of the bulbs to get so hot that they melt (slightly) without blowing the fuse? :huh:

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Check to see if there are any trouble service bullitens. Chevy has had ongoing problems with tail lights melting down for years.. (why they can't get it figgured out yet is beyond me).............

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check to see if there are any trouble service bullitens. Chevy has had ongoing problems with tail lights melting down for years.. (why they can't get it figgured out yet is beyond me).............
Thanks-I checked online but found nothing except ignition switch shorting. At least others have had the problem and weren't able to fix it either. I don't feel so stupid now :crazy:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just went to a site called "Just Answer". For $15 they connect you to "experts" to answer your question. My expert says he's a chevy mechanic for 30+ years and the problem is the socket. He does not say what is wrong with the socket just that I should replace it. I guess I'll do that but I don't understand what could be wrong it.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Sometimes we miss the obvious (I should know). You are using the #3057/3057LL bulb, aren't you?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I have correct bulb-but it was worth a check :thumbsup:

What I've been told is that this is a common problem and it has even caused fires in the trunk. The contacts in the socket are curved strips of metal which are supposed to press against the bulb contacts. With time these strips lose there tension and become loose. The loose connection causes arcing/heat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts