Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have been lurking in the background for a couple of months
now and thought I would join in. I do have a problem that I need help with. I
have a 98 coupe with 40k on the clock, the last two mornings while on my way to work when I put on my brakes or turn signals the headlights will pulse with the load. People think I am flashing at them. Any thoughts? Battery, alternator?
Can anyone reccomend a good tint shop in the Phoenix area?
Adams rocks! thanks to all for steering me to their producta after reading the detail fourm.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hello everyone, I have been lurking in the background for a couple of months
now and thought I would join in. I do have a problem that I need help with. I
have a 98 coupe with 40k on the clock, the last two mornings while on my way to work when I put on my brakes or turn signals the headlights will pulse with the load. People think I am flashing at them. Any thoughts? Battery, alternator?
Can anyone reccomend a good tint shop in the Phoenix area?
Adams rocks! thanks to all for steering me to their producta after reading the detail fourm.
Sounds like a possible voltage regulator going bad. That is located within the alternator which would need to get repalced.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Welcome to DC...what voltage is your alternator puting out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will put a meter on it tonight. The gauge is registering just above 13 in the car. It does not fluctuate with the brakes or signals?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had an C-4 that did the same thing. I replaced the battery and it made the pulsing worse. I replaced the alternator, and it stopped. Everything was alright again.

Take it to a Auto Zone or a parts place that will put it on the machine to check your system out. They can pretty well tell you what's wrong with it. If I had done that before I replaced the battery, I would have saved about $70 for a new battery.

Good luck.:thud:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Kent, that was an excellent post. I am starting to wonder if this may be a source of my problem. I am going to try cleaning all these before I spend money on parts. My car was fine last night and again this morning?

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts

I experienced this and found it to be poor contact on my neg cable to bat connection.

·
Registered
618 Posts
you might have a bad alternator. They eventually wear out. A local auto parts store should be able to tell you if it's going bad.

You might also want to consider the "big 3" upgrade. It involves rinning 3 new 4 gauge wires:
- Positive alternator terminal to positive battery terminal
- Alternator mounting bolt to chassis ground
- Battery negative terminal to chassis ground.

this solves most voltage problems for stock vehicles or cars with moderate sound systems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts