Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any1 out there who can guide me or gimme an idea what im getting myself into or mayb some instructions out there somewhere?? Gona install hooker headers into my 69 corvette small block and a magna flow exhaust... :huh:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
is there any1 out there who can guide me or gimme an idea what im getting myself into or mayb some instructions out there somewhere?? Gona install hooker headers into my 69 corvette small block and a magna flow exhaust... :huh:

Several steps. The headers are a fairly easy install. Remove old exhaust, clean the port side of the heads where the gasket surface is, and chase all the header bolt holes. Choose good gaskets. I like Mr. Gasket products and they seem to last.

The headers will need a lot of ground clearance to get them under the car. Typically a high reach floor jack and stands that have a max height of around 20" or so.

Get them installed, torque so spec with anti-seize and I like lock washers. Some of the bolts are hard to get to, so use a combination of positions from top, below, and various tools and tool combination to get to every bolt. If your car is an A/C car, that last bolt on the passenger side will be the most difficult.

As far as exhaust...I would recommend trailering the car to an exhaust shop and having them bend and weld you a 2.5" dual exhaust...maybe with an 'X' pipe.

I do highly recommend the Magnaflow mufflers. They have the best tone, and their build quality is top notch. You can source them yourself or have the exhaust shop order them for you.

Either way, I suggest letting them install everything from the headers back.

Also, before and after every heat cycle re-torque the exhaust bolts...for at least 500 miles. This will keep it tight and preserve the integrity of the gaskets.

Good luck, :thumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts