Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 79 vette and affter i turned it off i cant turn it back on . the engine isnt turning or anything. when i turn the key in the start section the brake light comes on but nothign happens. it is an automatic and i tried it in the park and neutral spaces. and nothing. any insight? thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the lights and radio are working so i dont think its the battery. any other suggestions???

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Maybe a bad starter:lookinup:

·
Registered
60 Posts
try jumping the starter that will give you some clue as to where the problem is......check the neutral safety switch that may be bad....you can unplug it and put a jumper in place and see if the car will crank.....and start cleaning all connections and grounds.....does the horn work and are the lights bright? if not you have a bad ground somewhere

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. i decided to tap on the starter solenoid and yea immediately started up. thanks again!

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
thanks guys. i decided to tap on the starter solenoid and yea immediately started up. thanks again!
1 of 2 things.

Solenoid gummed up with old oil,etc.

When the brushes are almost gone, they lose tention, and a rap will sometimes make contact.

·
Registered
181 Posts
replace you starter soleniod chevys are very well known for this they get hot or the internal spring gets weak. i had one i drove for over a year that would stick every once in a while i woulld give it a good wack and off i would go. i lived with it until wacking quit working out in the middle of the desert after dark with no cell phone signal. 15 mile hike in the dark= lesson learned the hard way pulled catus needles for 4 days.

good luck just got my 79 today also

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Welcome to DC and do what I did after all the hell the OEM starter gave me. Buy a Mini starter. Easier on the batter and cranks just enuf to get the motor turned over. The best damned thing I bought for the 79 yet. Bought it on e-bay for about 79 bucks and the thing is chrome also. The ugh, OEM starters have a bad rep for the offset bolt pattern that if the flywheel decides to kick back during start up it cannot retract soon enuf and ending in failure to the flywheel teeth or starter cone. The Mini has holes parallel to the flywheel, eliminating the twistin effect when starting like the OEM. OEM"S SUCK! Not my humble opinion, just the facts after changing the solenoid and bustin 2 nose cones off the thing. And do never start one on the jacks either. I love that damned Mini! Best of luck and "Save the Wave":partyon: :cheers: :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts