Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2004 C5 16,000 mile, no warranty. The passenger power window will not go up or down. You push on the button, it just clicks once. If you push it to go up just clicks, if you push it to go down it just clicks. If you push the driver’s side same thing. I looked at the fuses under the pax floor, but not sure which one runs the paxs door.. It really doest say. I did check the number 30 (Right Door Control Module) and it was fine.. Driver’s window works fine.:huh:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Help anyone??:huh:

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Sadly, if the passenger window is stuck in the up position, this is a common problem (at least it has the decency to stick in the "up" position). It really is a poor design in the way the motor armature shifts at the top of the travel to stop the motion.

Most likely you can bang on the inside door panel just opposite the motor position while clicking the switch and it "may" start working again (for a while). The only real fix it to replace the entire window regulator. Eventually you may get tired of replacing dented door panels.

If you do replace it, it may help to move the passenger window up and down on a more regular basis moving forward - it has been hypothesized that it fails prematurely due to being left in the full up position for extended periods.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly, if the passenger window is stuck in the up position, this is a common problem (at least it has the decency to stick in the "up" position). It really is a poor design in the way the motor armature shifts at the top of the travel to stop the motion.

Most likely you can bang on the inside door panel just opposite the motor position while clicking the switch and it "may" start working again (for a while). The only real fix it to replace the entire window regulator. Eventually you may get tired of replacing dented door panels.

If you do replace it, it may help to move the passenger window up and down on a more regular basis moving forward - it has been hypothesized that it fails prematurely due to being left in the full up position for extended periods.
Ok I'll try that, Anybody have any pics of the inside door panel?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I banged on the door panel to no avail... does anyone have step by step procedures on how to remove the door panel. I don’t want to tear it up getting it off.

Please help it’s driving me crazy, that it’s not working…

Did Junkman leave the planet? :surprised

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Ok I banged on the door panel to no avail... does anyone have step by step procedures on how to remove the door panel. I don’t want to tear it up getting it off.

Please help it’s driving me crazy, that it’s not working…

Did Junkman leave the planet? :surprised
You have to REALLY pound your fist against it usually PRETTY HARD. Usually that will get it working for a few days or a couple weeks - soon it will just stop responding to that procedure.

Here is a link to the Door Panel Removal ...
http://www.VetteEssentials.com/instructions/door_handles/door_handle.html

Some people have had luck removing the door panel and tapping the metal inner door with a hammer opposite the motor, but same results.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have to REALLY pound your fist against it usually PRETTY HARD. Usually that will get it working for a few days or a couple weeks - soon it will just stop responding to that procedure.

Here is a link to the Door Panel Removal ...
http://www.VetteEssentials.com/instructions/door_handles/door_handle.html

Some people have had luck removing the door panel and tapping the metal inner door with a hammer opposite the motor, but same results.
I'll try the removal first... Thanks for the link....

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I got the door panel off.. Found the window control module. I tapped on the relays to no avail.... GM wants $430.00 for it...:thud::surprised

I can diffidently hear it clicking ….Do you guys think this is it? I going to start checking other sources.. Any ideas.....

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Ok I got the door panel off.. Found the window control module. I tapped on the relays to no avail.... GM wants $430.00 for it...:thud::surprised

I can diffidently hear it clicking ….Do you guys think this is it? I going to start checking other sources.. Any ideas.....
Not sure tapping on the "relays" will have any effect. If a relay is bad, it would need to be replaced. Usually it is the motor itself that gets frozen in the up position since it does not use limit switches to stop its travel. When the window gets to the full up position the motor armature shifts inside the casing to stop the motion.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes you’re right, it’s the motor. I pulled the connector off, and check the volts. It’s getting power both ways “up and down”, now that motor and all the cables looks hard to change. Is there a DIY on this?

Thanks for all your help!

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Okay, you don't have to replace the entire regulator module, you only have to replace the relay that is bad. One of those regulators control the window and two control the door locks. The main question is how good are your soldering skills?

Edit: The relay will solve the problem if the relay is the problem, however, the window regulator can also create your issue too. Like Choreo said, a hard smack with a mallet on the window regulator will sometimes make the window start working again. That's a common fix.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Okay, you don't have to replace the entire regulator module, you only have to replace the relay that is bad. One of those regulators control the window and two control the door locks. The main question is how good are your soldering skills?

Edit: The relay will solve the problem if the relay is the problem, however, the window regulator can also create your issue too. Like Choreo said, a hard smack with a mallet on the window regulator will sometimes make the window start working again. That's a common fix.
I think it’s the motor. I pulled the connector off, and check the volts. It’s getting power both ways “up and down”, now that motor and all the cables looks hard to change. Is there a DIY on this?

Thanks for all your help!

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Not yet. My windows get plenty of workouts from me rolling them down to holla' at the honey's. From what I understand, the problem rears its ugly head because of lack of use.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not yet. My windows get plenty of workouts from me rolling them down to holla' at the honey's. From what I understand, the problem rears its ugly head because of lack of use.
Ok thanks for all the help guys... I'll look for a new motor and let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is, but all the pictures are missing. I can, however, give you the instructions from the service manual. Here are the instructions without pictures.

Here's the "whack" repair.
Ok I could not stand it! I did the Whack Repair! It worked. Took a hammer and tapped on the motor while holding the switch on, it worked the first time. I ran it up and down numerous times… So for now I will run it every time I drive the car. Let’s see how long it last…

You guys are great here at DC...keep up the good work... :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Ok I could not stand it! I did the Whack Repair! It worked. Took a hammer and tapped on the motor while holding the switch on, it worked the first time. I ran it up and down numerous times… So for now I will run it every time I drive the car. Let’s see how long it last…

You guys are great here at DC...keep up the good work... :cheers:
Good news!

It will at least give you time to shop for a replacement. Maybe it will hold, but from the cases I have seen (including myself), its days are numbered.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good news!

It will at least give you time to shop for a replacement. Maybe it will hold, but from the cases I have seen (including myself), its days are numbered.
Ya I'll start shopping for one now. frustrating that if stays in the basement year round same temp. Only 16,000 mile and something like that brakes.. I know machines just brake just setting. Airplanes are worse. I know I have to fly it at least once a week, to keep it exercised …

Kid and there toys. could be a lot worse in life... We have it pretty good... I’ll stop whining....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts