Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Finally got my 427 sb going last week and the old Edelbrock proflo ecu just isn't up to it. It idles and barely runs extremely rich and I can't adjust any of the parameters with the module. Sooo, it's time for an upgrade. I sold my old motor so I would have the cash to buy, but $2k is really the upper limit.

Have to use my Edelbrock fuel rails, ported intake (basically a vic jr.) and 1000 cfm throttle body. Also have to use my 48 lb venom high imped injectors.
Important factors
1. Has to be pretty easy to configure and tune as I don;t know much.
2. Has to work with my sb 427 with a 670/670; 250/[email protected] .050; 111 LS solid roller cam.
3. Needs to work with a MSD 6A box
4. Am looking into getting a new distributor, probably a dual sync MSD, Accel or FAST. Need this to make it work in sequential.
5. Definitely want a wide band O2 sensor

So far, I have looked into the following.
1. Megasquirt: Nice setup, but too complicated for me it looks like.
2. Accel Gen 7: Looks good from what I have read, but some ppl say the tuning software is a bit more complicated than similar systems?
3. FAST: Leaning toward this one, but it is a bit high when you add in their ridiculously expensive wiring harnesses ($450-$500).
4. Bigstuff 3: Leaning toward this one as it is supposed to be easy to use and has two wide band O2 sensors. Not sure it controls high imped injectors or not, checking on this.
5. Any other systems?

Also, any pros and cons to any of these systems?

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Last winter I tried going to the Mega Squirt system....long story, but you gotta be pretty good with laptops and .commmmmmmmmmm ports and serial D connectors, and then sending files, and so forth....

I am a rank amateur at that....having said all that IF you can pass muster on the above...the Mega Squirt should be about the most user friendly system out there.....

I have been acquainted with Brude Bowling for about 15 years now?? long time....back when I was doing the home built injection on the 455 Pontiac circa '92 or so.....as I recall....

but the technical aspects dictate you get the system pre built....and use compatible sense units....

the thing can learn it's own crap...IF you know how to do the programmming and have a WICE BAND O2 sensor hooked up....

it's about a 600 bux project....but the computer is small, and VERY capable....

I was forced to give it up on that last winter, when I could not find a laptop to do all I needed it to....online support is fairly broad, and willing, but on the time you NEED IT...like instantly...so takes your time...

I gave it up after 2 PCs...and 2 laptops....and went back to a stockish GM system...got a chip burnt...but found other crap...

wiring errors....don't ask....please...

:crazy: :crazy: :lookinup: :WTF :cheers:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like the kind of experience i am trying to avoid! Thanks for the info. Really what it boils down to is that I have limited knowledge and need something that I can program to get running pretty well, pretty quick. Fine tuning down the road is also an interest to me, but having a new motor in my Vette that I am afraid to drive because I am worried about melting pistons is not my idea of fun.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Well, don't take MY word for it, BUT since it's still a SBC with I presume normal heads...you can bolt on maybe a ported LT-1 or LT-4 intake that's been machined for a typical HEI dist in back.....

this way you get the flow you need, and then you go for a simple DPFI computer like a 1227730 which is a speed density system...meaning it has no particular airflow measure other than the built in cal map, for your cam profile, engine speed, throttle position, manifold vacuum....written in a chip program.....most tuners can set it up pretty damn good....

now we go into the MAF Mass Air Flow systems....they have that hard to plumb air meter in the induction path...after the air cleaner...

they are supposedly easier to program but I dunno, never had one...other than a stockish '87 vette with aftermarket chip which woke that car up nice....

:cheers:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have put more info in the innitial post.

I have a ported Edelbrock efi intake (carb style Throttle body) with fuel rails, 50 psi static fp regulator and new 48 lb high imped. injectors. Also a 1000 cfm throttle body. I also have the fuel system already upgraded with -8 AN stainless feed/-6 AN return lines with a sump, filters and A1000 Aeromotive pump good to 1100 hp efi (naturally aspirated).

Heads are 23* AFR Elim. 210's.
Headers 1 7/8" Hooker headers with 4" sidepipes and STS baffles (O2 bung already welded in).
Compression is 10.5:1

·
Registered
512 Posts
I bought the Holley Commander 950. It is arguably not be the most sophisticated controller out there but, there are a lot of users and pretty good support from active user forums (like chevytalk.com).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought the Holley Commander 950. It is arguably not be the most sophisticated controller out there but, there are a lot of users and pretty good support from active user forums (like chevytalk.com).
This is the EFI I'm using....I think you'd find it user friendly and as BBShark stated there is plenty of trouble shooting/tweaking support at the forum chevytalk.com. I'm using the TBI w/ 4-85lb/hr injectors and a 900cfm throttle body on a 144 B&M blower. It suppports up to 600HP. It is wideband compatible.

I've heard that the FAST system allows individual cylinder tuning on MPI.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Megasquirt is not capable of sequential injection...

UHH....maybe not, yet, but last winter Bruce Bowling and Al Grippo were coming out with a mod kit or maybe a whole new board to do just that....

not something I had....but then again I am running a TPI, so as such with the rotating dizzy....I fail to see how to index the thing without special part # $$$.....

:WTF

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Just trying to figure out the most painless/efficient route to take with this deal.

Still thinking about the MS2 setup I guess, really don't know what I am getting into though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts