Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Which one?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trolling this forum (among other corvette forums) for months now and finally decided to join, I found that I liked this forum more than the others.

Okay here's my dilemma I drive a 01 BMW 330ci right now, in the next couple of months I want to trade it in and pick up either a E46 BMW M3, or a C6 Corvette (the LS2 version). Both cars are going to be used and with a manual transmission. I know I should expect biased opinions but help me decide guys/girls.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I know I should expect biased opinions but help me decide guys/girls.
You got that right.

I'm voting C6, but you could provide more info. Will this be a daily driver? If so what part of the country do you live? The decision could be different if this is a daily driver and you have quite a bit of snow in your region. Do you have a family that you need to cart around?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I've been around Bimmers and Vettes for a couple of years now. I would pick the C6 hands down. Looks better, Performs better, and the modding options for the LS2 could get the car crazy amounts of HP. Shop around and test drive both if possible. At the end of the day I think you would be much happier in a C6.:thumbsup:

Edit: Another reason I would pick the Corvette is because of BMW service record. We've had two BMW's , 03' 325i and the current 06' 325ci and they have been in and out of the shop more often then our 1985 Corvette which is a daily driver. Not to mention the shitty service you get at the BMW stealerships. I also know someone who has an 07' 335i with the twin turbos and it has also been in and out of the shop for various reasons. Just another reason I would never buy a BMW.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been around Bimmers and Vettes for a couple of years now. I would pick the C6 hands down. Looks better, Performs better, and the modding options for the LS2 could get the car crazy amounts of HP. Shop around and test drive both if possible. At the end of the day I think you would be much happier in a C6.:thumbsup:
oh wow I test drove my friends C6 and it was amazing. He told me to have some fun with it, but I didnt feel comfortable with the power yet so I just shifted at 4-5 RPM and the car still chirped. It was amazing.

Only thing holding me back is that I have been in love with the M3 for so long and now i can finally get one and I cant decide.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you like the attention of being a "some-body" buy the
Corvette .:thumbsup:
If you only looking for a transportation and like to be a
"no-body" buy the BMW . :down:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
The BMW 3 series is the Honda Civic of Califonia. Theres one around every corner. You wont stand out with an M3 in California. The Vette would be a head turner for sure.:partyon:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what are some problems known on the corvette? I know about the roof issue, and some rear end issues, anything else?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Get the Vette.

Do you want a sports car or a "sporty" touring car?

Ask yourself that question - then go buy it....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
321 Posts
i'd pick the Vette of course....but it's about what suits your needs the best.

·
Only green will do...
18,391 Posts
I had a bmw 320 i and liked it a lot but if you want sporty and nice i would definetely go with the VETTE ohh yea:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If you are looking to buy an 08 Vette, the major problem, the roof, has been fixed, and the other two things most complained about on the Vette, the notchy 2-3 shift and numb steering, have also been remedied according to the recent "first drive" tests.

Good lucking working on/modding an M3.:rolleyes: Cool cars, but not Corvette performance.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Good lucking working on/modding an M3.:rolleyes: Cool cars, but not Corvette performance.:thumbsup:
Not Cheap Either!

My friend has a M3 (333HP) and I was looking at some Dinan mods for it - its expensive.

ALSO - I used to race him in my WS-6 - I wooped his ass. Both cars were stock.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you wanted an unbiased opinion, you picked the wrong place for a poll. Seriously, was there any doubt that everyone would vote Vette? :)

The M3 has advantages in that its refined and the engine revs up real nice. However, you need to get the software upgrade that changes the redline. The latest BMW firmware takes it from an 8000 rpm redline to a 7600 RPM redline. Forget what anybody else says about the S54 engine, it was the 8000 RPM redline that blew them up. Notice the M roadsters (Z3 and Z4 based) with the S54 engine never had engines blow up. Why? 7600 RPM redline.

Also, nobody but other M3 owners ever notice its "special". To anybody else its just another beemer.
On the plus side, there are hellacious amounts of fantastic upgrades from turner motorsports http://www.turnermotorsports.com/. Dont go there unless you have several hours to spend looking. Its hard to stop.

If your interested in being the fastest, then the M3 is not for you. Though you can do some incredible things with it via turner motorsports, the vette will always be faster, and cheaper to upgrade.

If the chicks you hang out with need Euro to close escrow, then M3 is your obvious choice....

EDIT: I definitely need to mention that the BMW stealerships are terrible. If you don't have a "neighborhood" mechanic that has a BMW certified tech on staff, then I recommend you not get one. Its really that bad.

·
Registered
109 Posts
HMMM--Let's see.

Vettes are awful. dead batteries, flying roofs, polished wheels don't look like chrome, seats uncomfortable, rear end makes noise, front end makes noise, not enough horsepower, too many suspension choices, paint looks funny - like an orange, GM dealers are awful--they just suck.

Did I miss any of the complaints????:smack

Sorry for the editorial, I have seen much better questions on this board.

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
HMMM--Let's see.

Vettes are awful. dead batteries, flying roofs, polished wheels don't look like chrome, seats uncomfortable, rear end makes noise, front end makes noise, not enough horsepower, too many suspension choices, paint looks funny - like an orange, GM dealers are awful--they just suck.

Did I miss any of the complaints????:smack

Sorry for the editorial, I have seen much better questions on this board.
ill stick up for my vette and say ive had none of the issues youve mentioned, 400hp and 400tq is plenty, the average person wont even get the full effect of what this car is capable of. there are three suspension choices, regular for comfort, f55 if your dual purposing the car and z51 if you like a firm race car like ride. the paint is fine, not glass smooth but good for a mass produced vehicle. yes gm dealers are awful but if your smart you only have to see them once. vettes rock, save the M3 for your girlfriend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for all the comments. i love the whole euro scene, but since the first time i saw the C6 i fell in love with it. I have a video that I will post up later of a C6 (LS2) vs a C5 Z06. you guys probably already know the outcome.

i wish i could get the 08 with the LS3 (I've seen the recent dynos), but it's going to have to be used.

DDNZ06 - Dinan is the worst company you can look to for mods. they are ridiculous expensive because they allow you to keep your factory warranty.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts