Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow c4 owners,

My name is Dave and I wish we could be meeting on a better note, but I have come seeking advice regarding some damage to my 1995 LT1. I started allowing my son to drive it to college last year (as my father did with me) and all was well until he managed to drive it quite fast backwards into a curb :rolleyes:
As it turns out he was driving for quite some time with a just about completely flat rear tire, without my knowledge of course. It popped while cornering and he spun into the curb. He drove it home with the spare rubbing the well, sounded like a honda:laughing:

I'm thinking about making it a project for us, since we have both grown a little tired of the simplicity of my project car, a 70's bmw 2002.

I have a pretty fair amount of experience doing engine work, but when it comes to stuff near the rear I'm clueless. I put the car on jacks to see what was up and I realized just how clueless I am, wasn't really sure what was what, but there's a few things that don't look right, including I think the leafspring. The damage is contained only to what was bent when the rear tire slammed backwards into the curb on the right side. As I said before I am making this post to see if anyone can help identify what needs replacing, I can do the rest.

I've taken a bunch of pictures and put them on a flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

A few of them might be confusing as I was shooting from the ground up and not thinking about posting them online. If anyone has a moment to help, let me know if I should take more if something wasn't clear or included.

All the best,
Dave :cheers:

·
Registered
267 Posts
hi Dave,looking at your rear end the knuckle take a hit from the rear and it slip forward bending your two upper and lower controll arms,probably your leaf spring was twisted forward,so you must ceck it under differential were it is bolted on.If you look at you sway bar conneting rod it isn't perpendicular to knuckle as it normal is, then tie rod was probably bended too,here some pics from my rear end for comparison,my car is a 85' but not much differences:

My little advice is to take apart the knuckle assembly,obviously you need two controll arm,ceck leaf spring for damnage,it is fiberglass it may crack,leaf spring bolt are bended,ceck your half shaft and u-joint,shock absorber,sway bar and tie rod...it seems like all knuckle slip forward about 1"1/2, 2
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wow he really did a number on the rearend of that car. Id say its time to teach him a lesson on facing consequences of his actions. Better teach him now before the world decides to teach him!

Looks definitely like you have some bent up parts on the rear there. Control arms are junk! Check everything attached to the control arms. Hopefully the frame isnt bent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi
What happened to your car is the exact reason I won't let anyone use my C4. You can use anyother vehicle I have (& I have a few) but not the Vette.
Rich

Venicevette
Nice job on the rear. I plan on cleaning myine up one day.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Hey Dave, welcome to the forum and a PM sent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All the info is much appreciated!

We're going to begin disassembling the rear this week and see what exactly is bent and I've already ordered control arms for starters.

I'll post back here when we start making progress!

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
With that amount of side stress on your fiberglass spring you may highly want to consider replacing it.
I would also take a hard look at the rear wheel bearing and the knuckle where the dog bonees attach.
be careful when you remove the anti skid sensors.. they are brittle by this time and can break if your not careful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts