Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... I wonder if I'm the youngest one around here...

Anyway, I wanted to ask if you could identify a Corvette for me.

Since I was young, the very first sports car I've been introduced to was this 70's Corvette that my neighbor owned. Since then, I've moved to a new house in 2001 and later learned more about cars and became interested in that Corvette again!

I've taken some pictures of the said Corvette. I believe there are a few personal modifications such as pop-up headlights being swapped for under-bumper static ones, rear end tail light modifications, as well as paint and the hood.

I wanted to ask, what year is the 'vette, and what model it is? I really want to learn more about the Corvette now! I don't have the VIN, and probably won't have it for a while.

Anyway, here are the photos:

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Is that a cougar ass end?

·
DC Crew
3,084 Posts
WOW NOT KNOCKING SOMEONES CAR OR THE WORK IT TOOK TO MAKE IT THAT WAY >>> BUT HE HAD ALOT OF TIME ON HIS HANDS >> :laughing:

I DONT THINK IT WAS EVER BOUGHT LIKE THAT FROM GM I THINK IT WAS MADE IN SOME ONES GARAGE OR BACK YARD

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like a heavily modified '73.

Fender flares, hood, nose & tail are all non-stock.
I was thinking the same thing, due to the rubber nose and chrome rear bumper.

I know that he's got over-fenders, a modified hood (I don't think the bulge was that tall), Olds Tornado tail lights, shortened nose and removed pop-ups, now under the bumper, side exhaust, paint, and shaved badges. That's all I know...

I've seen the car since I was in kindergarten, now I'm in grade 12 and I'm starting to learn, that this isn't any 'normal' Corvette, haha! I never knew!

It looks 'nice', in a way... But I really hope the owner's got something decent under the hood to keep up with the body's wild look.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hmm,,It still could be 70-73.The side vents were available as a kit also in the 70's to replace the egg crates.(My 71 has them, :down: )The nose has the shape of a smoothed out steel bumper front.The taillights look like they are off of a ford Torino (69??70??fastback)Although I like the round vette lights,Those fit pretty good and don't look that bad on it.(I don't think I would have done the swap to start,but I wouldn't change it back as a custom.)HHHmmm???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The nose has the shape of a smoothed out steel bumper front.
Now that you say that, I'm getting the same vibe... Side-ducts look longer and end closer to the door than the '70 'vette. On the second pic I posted, the duct looks like a '2-stage' mod. Take a close look at how the shadow shows that it isn't a smooth curve, as there's a sharper angle closer to the actual duct hole.

I also have a strong feeling that its a highly modified 1972 model. From vfpreacher's link, it states that for the '72 model:

1972 Corvettes were the last to feature chrome bumpers front and rear. The only outside change for 1972 is the appearance of the amber front turn signals and vertical chroming on the egg-crate grills.
So the egg-crates were removed for sloping scoops and the chrome bar was removed. Here's the key note:

The only outside change for 1972 is the appearance of the amber front turn signals...
Look at the pics I posted above. I see amber front turn signals! The only down-fall to that theory is that the amber front signals in the purple 'vette aren't stock... Though that does help close the margin from 1972 and earlier...

I also noticed that the front bumper opening looks like there could've been a chrome bumper there at one point.

Look at how the bumper holes are cut compared to the '73 clean-duct model

Compare (1970):

and (1973):

·
DC Crew
3,084 Posts
DONT THINK YOUR THE YOUNGEST !!! BUT ITS COOL TO GET THE YOUNGER ONES TO THINK CORVETTES !!! WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DONT THINK YOUR THE YOUNGEST !!! BUT ITS COOL TO GET THE YOUNGER ONES TO THINK CORVETTES !!! WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
:thumbsup:
Thanks for the welcome ;)

IMO, the 'real world' would be driving down the highway in a C3, side-pipes growling and Deep Purple's Highway Star playing on the radio! Haha!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
When I was still in school I had a 1/25 scale Corvette model with the
exact same Tail lights and Head lamps that that car has. Must have
been a popular conversion back then to have a model scaled after it.

With my Dad being a Photographer I took a lot of photos of my models.
I'll dig around and see if I have a photo of that particular one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I was still in school I had a 1/25 scale Corvette model with the
exact same Tail lights and Head lamps that that car has. Must have
been a popular conversion back then to have a model scaled after it.

With my Dad being a Photographer I took a lot of photos of my models.
I'll dig around and see if I have a photo of that particular one.
Really? I would be so grateful if you were to find those pictures!

I've known this Corvette since 1994, though I haven't been too interested in cars at the time. Just a few years back when I really got into it, I remembered that "cool looking Batman-car", as I used to call it, and finally started doing some research on it. IMO, researching about info for imports have been much easier. I've went through like a fine tooth comb on a few cars that I've fancied already. But with muscle cars like the C3 Corvette and the '70 Plymouth Road Runner (am I allowed to say that here?), I've barely scuffed the surface!

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
68 through 72 had "windshield wiper doors". This car appears "not" to have a wiper door..... or I could be full of ****.....
Windshield wiper doors? What's that? Is there a rubber boot between the hood and the windshield where the wipers come out of?

·
Registered
751 Posts
50 bucks say's there's female under-garments somewhere in that one! :laughing:

:D

It's got vents behind the rear window {gone by 76}and what looks like a vertical seam on the rear quarter for rubber rear bumper. {?} I'll say 74 or 75.......no money on that one tho.

Looks like it may still hold future "under-garment" potential........with a buncha updates...........Toro lights are sorta cool..lose about 19"s of the flares..and ride height............hmmm.......:huh:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts