Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been awhile...
My '93 won't start.
Stored for about 6mths w/the battery disconnected.
Just installed a new battery. All electricals working... Vette
just won't fire up. It wants to....
Was thinking maybe the fuel degraded. Got half a tank.
Bought some octane booster... should I add it?
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
if it is cranking but doesnt start:
1. check for spark- use any of the spark testers avail on the market.
2. check for fuel. unplug a spark plug and crank it. pull the plug to see if its wet.

if you have spark and fuel, the fuel may not be very good. i would recommend draining the fuel system and putting fresh fuel in. if there is no spark, or there is weak spark, check your opti-spark, they are known to not like moisture very much and it may be fouled.

if it does not crank:
1. verify voltage at the starter. you should have 12vdc at the main battery cable at the starter. have someone turn the key (with the coils unplugged) and verify 12vdc at the small/thin wire at the starter solenoid. this is the wire that activates the solenoid which engages the bendix into the flexplate/flywheel and also engages the starter motor.

2. verify voltage going into and out the clutch start switch/neutral safety switch. if no voltage is going out, you know that item is bad and most likely at fault.

3. wouldnt be a bad idea to check your fuse box and make sure they are all good, not corroded or anything like that.

without looking at an electrical schematic, that is about as indepth as you are going to get. if im not making much sense or im confusing, i havent slept in about 2 days lol

·
Registered
205 Posts
Following is what I went through. Just some thoughts for ya. Hope it helps

My 93 did the same not to long age. (not from sitting though) Out of the blue just cranked like wanted to start but no vroommm... I had raw fuel smell out tail pipe. Fuel psi on rail was good. Had spark at coil wire and to plugs. Cked fuses and all that. All seemed good. So recheck all again and noticed my spark was yellow on the spectrum. (low) Should flash blue or white. Changed coil and BOO YAA We had VERRRROOOOMMMM!

Weeks later after changing leaking water pump We were back too same symptoms. Everything checked out fine this time. Lucky for me my buddy pushed some wires as I was cranking and it fired. He showed me and I touched them then it died. Well turn out to be loose connection to the ignition module. I couldn't get it to fit right so I zip tied it to one side and seem to work fine till my new one come in tomorrow.

Yea I said "zip tied" on a vette. I love to drive it that much. SOOOO! :partyon:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the delay in answering. My Vette has just become a major source of frustration. But I wanted to thank each and every one of you for your responses.
:cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts