Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase a C5. I was looking at a 1997 C5 6spd for sale. It has 95,000 miles on it and the price is $17,000. Should I stay away from that high mileage of a vette? What problems could I expect to encounter if I did decide to purchase this 95,000mile vehicle and were there any problems with that 97 year. If I decided to put an ATI SC on it would I run into a lot of problems with such a high mileage vehicle. Should I purchase a newer vette w/ less miles or buy this vette and get a new motor for it like a 427, how much wouyld it cost to put a 427 in. Also, does anyone know of the date the C6 is going to be out and do you think the price of the C5 will come down significantly when it comes out. Also, how much does it cost to turn a LS1 into a LS6 including install. If anyone could shed some light on what I should do or what route I should take it would greatly be appreciated. Thanks,

Mike
Future Vette Owner
 

·
DC Pit Crew
Joined
·
11,957 Posts
lots of questions....

i wouldn't stay away from a car just because of the miles.....but if thinkin go of a S/C i wouldn't just put it on a 100,000 mile motor..

but surf this site some and most of your questions will be answered......

welcome aboard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I just didn't know if I should wait until the C6 is released and maybe get a good buy on a used Z06 then or buy an LS1 now and (heads and cam) it or supercharge it, or with the money i saved on buying a high mileage C5 put it towards putting a 427 in. How much would it cost to turn the LS1 into an LS6 or put in a 427 including labor and then later on turbo it. I just want to have a fast C5 and take out as many Supras as possible especially in the Top End arena. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know what you think.

Mike Smith
Future Vette Owner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,151 Posts
TOY killer

First of all when u drive a corvette..... you've already won:thumbsup:
put new rods,rod bolts, rings & bearings in her and enjoy the perfection of a Corvette... you want to beat a twin turbo TOYota... give her a little nitrous and spend your $$ on a good radar detector
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
Aloha,
C5 age's very well.there's some on other forums that are almost at 200,000 miles.water pump,hoses.not many problems.the one guy live's in sacramento,and race's once a month...i would at least try to get a 99' or newer.lot's of little change's.My theory is similar to your's.i will add an ATI pro-charger late next year,so i stayed away from the Z06 to save some cash,plus i wanted the 'sport spring',not the z06 spring,because i slammed the car.i didn't want it to ride like a dump truck...plus i like the coupe better than the FRC.....just ny opinion.:buhbye:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Smith ...<br>
Thanks, I just didn't know if I should wait until the C6 is released and maybe get a good buy on a used Z06 then or buy an LS1 now and (heads and cam) it or supercharge it, or with the money i saved on buying a high mileage C5 put it towards putting a 427 in. How much would it cost to turn the LS1 into an LS6 or put in a 427 including labor and then later on turbo it. I just want to have a fast C5 and take out as many Supras as possible especially in the Top End arena. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know what you think.

Mike Smith
Future Vette Owner<br>
Go to

http://www.katechengines.com

For information on converting an LS1 to an LS6. You will have to send them an email to get the prices.

They will be able to tell you whether the State of Florida will emissions-certify the vehicle with the modifications you desire. Chevrolet states quite emphatically that even modifying an '01 LS6 to '02 LS6 specifications is not emissions-certifiable. There have been several letters published in a number of Corvette publications concerning this modification. I will see if I can dig out the pertinent issues and post what their technical editor wrote in response. In California this modification would not pass the sniff test, literally and figuratively, and you would not be able to register the vehicle without a SMOG certificate. I don't know how Florida deals with this issue.

Given the amount of cash you would need to lay out to perform one of the alternitives you list, and the amount of down-time involved (Glaciers move faster than engine builders), it would seem simpler and easy, and more cost effective to simply buy a used Z06. An '01 will be cheaper, but an '02 is a better long term investment (not to mention the extra 20 ponies and the revised rear suspension pieces, but I somehow sense that lateral weight transfer is not one of your most pressing priorities).
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
Hello Ray,
There are a few super-chargers that are c.a.r.b. certified,and i read people that have passed calif smog the first time.Do you know anyone with a set-up like that?But just because i read this,does not mean it's true.I would like to hear from someone i can trust.
I also read that if you have Lingenfelter install the 1100 hp twin-turbo at his shop.it will be legal in calif,and a good tune,pass smog..:surprised.that would be sweet.I'm at work now so i can't get the Lingenfelter article.Later,..:smokin:
 

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
Joined
·
39,518 Posts
Originally posted by hawaii-5-lo ...<br>
Hello Ray,
There are a few super-chargers that are c.a.r.b. certified,and i read people that have passed calif smog the first time.Do you know anyone with a set-up like that?But just because i read this,does not mean it's true.I would like to hear from someone i can trust.
I also read that if you have Lingenfelter install the 1100 hp twin-turbo at his shop.it will be legal in calif,and a good tune,pass smog..:surprised.that would be sweet.I'm at work now so i can't get the Lingenfelter article.Later,..:smokin:<br>
Lingenfelter's 427 TT runs about $50K if I remember correctly. If I was going to lay out some heavy cash, I'd probably start with the newest Vette I could find that had what I wanted before the TT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Originally posted by hawaii-5-lo ...<br>
Hello Ray,
I also read that if you have Lingenfelter install the 1100 hp twin-turbo at his shop.it will be legal in calif,and a good tune,pass smog..:surprised.that would be sweet.I'm at work now so i can't get the Lingenfelter article.Later,..:smokin:<br>
Todd,

I had read the same article. If you buy the parts and do the work yourself no body will certify it. If Lingenfelter performs the work it's certfiable. I'll see if I can locate that issue.

Ray
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
Originally posted by Torch Red 2K ...<br>
Lingenfelter's 427 TT runs about $50K if I remember correctly. If I was going to lay out some heavy cash, I'd probably start with the newest Vette I could find that had what I wanted before the TT<br>
Hey Torch,
i was thinking the opposite.If one was to get the TT package,why not get the oldest highest milage car for cheap,there going to rebuild the motor anyway to make it a 427?And that price includes the tranny upgrade also.Just a thought...:buhbye:

one thing that stick's in my head about the article...1/4 mile-8.9 with serious traction issue's.I think it was 0 to 60 in 1.9 second's. ya ,baby....:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, I agree with you Todd, thats why I am considering buying an older high mileage C5, that way you allocate all that additional money you would have spent on a lower mileage vehicle into performance mods :partyon:. That way you are kind of ahead of the game in my opinion anyways. Also I heard if you wanted to convert your LS1 to a LS6 the price of the swap goes up if you have a '97 or '98 vette because the valve covers use perimeter bolts instead of center bolts, and the coil mounts are different.

Does anyone have any ballpark figures on how much it would cost to turn a '97 MN6 346ci into a std 427 or a built 427(to handle boost applications) and how much would the installation itself cost. If anyone knows of any reputable shops that will perform this surgery please let me know. I'm still open to anyone's suggestions so please keep them coming, thanks.


Mike
Future Vette Owner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Smith ...<br>
Yea, I agree with you Todd, thats why I am considering buying an older high mileage C5, that way you allocate all that additional money you would have spent on a lower mileage vehicle into performance mods :partyon:. That way you are kind of ahead of the game in my opinion anyways. Also I heard if you wanted to convert your LS1 to a LS6 the price of the swap goes up if you have a '97 or '98 vette because the valve covers use perimeter bolts instead of center bolts, and the coil mounts are different.

Does anyone have any ballpark figures on how much it would cost to turn a '97 MN6 346ci into a std 427 or a built 427(to handle boost applications) and how much would the installation itself cost. If anyone knows of any reputable shops that will perform this surgery please let me know. I'm still open to anyone's suggestions so please keep them coming, thanks.


Mike
Future Vette Owner<br>
All your questions can be answered here:

http://www.katechengines.com

including the valve cover issue. They won't give you a ballpark price, they'll give you the exact price on any engine you want.
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
Fantastic,thank's Ray.I would like to get my car up to the tuffest smog standard's and still make 500+ horsepower/street friendly also_Only way really,is a ATI pro-charger.You never know when you have to make a life change,and maybe move back to California.....:buhbye:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Originally posted by hawaii-5-lo ...<br>
Fantastic,thank's Ray.I would like to get my car up to the tuffest smog standard's and still make 500+ horsepower/street friendly also_Only way really,is a ATI pro-charger.You never know when you have to make a life change,and maybe move back to California.....:buhbye:<br>
You may be right but I think it's a moot point. I think it's a troll asking the same question over an over. Either a troll or one stupid SOB.

Ray
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top