Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just driving along when suddenly, I saw a flashed , and then went out on my instrument Center panel, flashed all the lights went on and the engine conked out...can NOT re-start...... two weeks ago it smogged at Test only in Encintas CA and passed flying colors...
Engine and body are in superb show room condition....

Any Ideas on Help.... Could it be Ignition ECM, Air Flow meter,
I am a novice and would appreciate your help...

Thanks

BJane
San Diego

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
You need to get your charging system checked..... your alternator may have just died on you!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lights, etc, were all fine....and had to get it towed to dealership...my concern is...this has never ever happened to me...and it scared the wits out of me...no power steering...very scary getting car off the road....I love this little car of mine...and to have it just die while driving is just to worrisome...thank goodness I did get off the road and no one was hurt...just my heart...if that counts...sure you know what I mean. Anyway, I think I am going to be leery of it , afraid that could happen again...is this a common thing? I have owned it since 88 and never had this happen. It was truly scary......and wonder if same has happened to other owners...is it a fluke? The fellow that towed it said the word for it in the industry is I have a "ghost" in the car....guess so. They will hopefully be able to read the codes and figure out what happened....who knows....anyway, hopefully someone will be able to explain it all to me....thanks for your imput...would like to know if this has happened to other vette owners.....is it common? Thanks again. BJ

·
Registered
1 Posts
Barb......... Rich, says that it could be a Ignition problem, HEI (High Energy Ignition System), ECM (Electronic Control Module), wiring connectors, or anything Electronic failing....

I hope and pray your Car gets better, and the Ghosts out, Girl......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Friend...thanks for info from Rich...another vette owner...and we do love our cars....thanks again for input....and computer help too...you are the best!

·
DC Crew
1,470 Posts
From a fellow 88. I wish you the best of luck!

And lets hope it is a cheap fix.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dead 88 vette

Check the alternator. If it dies all of a sudden, it will sometimes cause the battery to ruin also.

My 98 Chevy S10 Blazar did the same thing, flat out died. It was the alternator.

Wish you the best. I also have a 88 vette.

Cajun:partyon: :partyon: :cheers:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally, answers to prayer...and the techs working on car for three whole days...yee gads! Alternator, ignition module, cap rotor, spark plug wires and throttle position sensor. Poor little car,,,but guess what...I get it back tomorrow....hurray and and wanted to thank you for your input....much, much appreciated...maybe some of this info will help others...when there are computer problems...you never know....it all went at once....stop me and my car dead in our tracks....but, worth the money to fix it....a little over 1300 hundred....maybe more...a lot of money...but it is worth it...as you all out there know.
Thanks again for helping the newbie try to figure this out.... BJ

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Sounds like it should run like new when u get her back
Have Fun:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey friend...happy happy girl here in California...she is a dream machine....old, but told the "tech" you are the "doctor'..pretend it is your mom's car....and he did! My grown kids still think I am nuts...but who cares...if this makes any sense to any of you out there...my only car,,,had many...it feels like my second skin....truly....funny...? Trust me... grown kids wanted me to see a head doctor over this....so they paid, I went, he said they were nuts.....not me....well maybe a little....but as a senior citizen, not much financially....just who the heck cares? And, no, they did not offer to buy me a new car....the head doctor said,,,who needs them? Amen!... These are 30 year old people....sad!!!
Thank goodness the "children" live out of State....
Thanks !
Happy Thanksgiving to ALL!!
I guess I shoud be the little old lady from Pasedena song...but, oh well. Have a great Holiday, and thanks to all on the Board, from the "newbie"
Happy Holidays.....thanks to you all!! BJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts