Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1984 Corvette has a headlight problem one day the headlights were up I went to turn them off and they went partially down and the motors just kept running, what I did was disconnected the power and now the both headlight assemblies just rock back and forth loosely, I'm trying to figure out if it's one of the relays that is causing this, thank you very much...........

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Not a relay problem the gears inside the unit have gone bad. Not a hard job you can buy the new gears pretty cheap. Everyone will tell you to buy the bronze gears, I'll tell you not to. The plastic ones lasted this long and the new plastic ones you buy will too.:thumbsup:

·
I'm related so I get a title.
212 Posts
I had a similar problem and replace them with the brass actually bronze gears. I don't think there is much difference for the price but they looked cool going in. make sure you make a mark some where to line the gears up. My headlights are only off a gear or two and I can drive with my brights on and not get flashed. No big problem but I just have to do the whole job over again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
headlight problem

I was thinking the gears also but what is throwing me off is that they both went out at the same time, if it was one I can understand, I may just take one apart just to see..... Thank you guys for your input I really appreciate it,:buhbye:

·
Registered
547 Posts
I was thinking the gears also but what is throwing me off is that they both went out at the same time, if it was one I can understand, I may just take one apart just to see..... Thank you guys for your input I really appreciate it,:buhbye:
What so puzzling about that? They go thru the same wear so they can give out at about the same time. I would get the bronze gears simply because they are harder

you will have to file the bushings down to size but that is the way they are.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Has anyone who has done this repair actually had a failed gear? I ordered the bronze ones for my lights as well, and did install one, but I'm thinking now I would have been much better off to save that money and just buy the bushings. :huh:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
All pre-88 cars don't have bushings, they are gear to gear and the gear is what fails. I have pictures of mine if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Oh, OK. But what about the later cars-is the bronze gear just a waste of money?
I don't think so. The worm gear is metal and I'd rather have a metal gear that won't be so easily stripped. One of my lights has a few missing teeth

1 - 11 of 11 Posts