Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey... i've been seeing alot of posts bout gears and overdrive..
ok so this is what the gear looks like:

P = park
R = reverse
N = nuetrel LIKE DUH
OD = is this OVERDRIVE ??
D = ???
2 = ?
1 = ?

ok i know what the 2 and 1 are for...
which position do u guys usually use for normal DAILY driving !!! i'm confused...
i use OD the letter right under NUETREL.. is this RIGHT ????
LOOOOST HELP:huh:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Originally posted by Q8 BaD BoY ...<br>
hey... i've been seeing alot of posts bout gears and overdrive..
ok so this is what the gear looks like:

P = park
R = reverse
N = nuetrel LIKE DUH
D = ???
2 = ?
1 = ?

ok i know what the 2 and 1 are for...
which position do u guys usually use for normal DAILY driving !!! i'm confused...
i use OD the letter right under NUETREL.. is this RIGHT ????
LOOOOST HELP:huh:<br>
You have a 4-speed transmission.

If you drive the car in "1"... it will never shift out of first. This is nice if you are driving down a high-grade mountain road, and you don't want to ride the brakes the whole way.

If you drive the car in "2"... it will shift out of 1st, and go into 2nd as well. It won't shift into 3rd (same as "D" or drive).

If you drive the car in "D" (drive) the car won't shift into overdrive. This is nice if you are driving at a speed where the car keeps changing between D and OD.

OD is overdrive, your best mileage is there, lowest RPMS at highway speeds.:thumbsup:

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Yep. :thumbsup:

It doesn't hurt at all if you drive it in OD all the time, some of us find better drivability in D. I used to drive around in D until the speed limit hit 50. I had my chip reprogrammed to lock the tq converter at 48mph so now I just use OD.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Re: Re: help :S

Originally posted by War Machine ...<br>
Yep. :thumbsup:

It doesn't hurt at all if you drive it in OD all the time, some of us find better drivability in D. I used to drive around in D until the speed limit hit 50. I had my chip reprogrammed to lock the tq converter at 48mph so now I just use OD.<br>
MY dad has a switch to turn his torque converter on and off. Ill get a pic and post it. I dont personally know what the torque converters for but i know thats what this switch turns on and off.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Yep Patrick covered all the bases. I use OD all the time, never any problems. :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Loggins,
The torque converter is a fluid coupler that connects the engine to the transmission. Below a certain rpm it will just slip. The motor turns but the wheels don't. Raise the rpm and the car will begin to move. The lock up part was added back when gas mileage was terrible to eliminate the slippage when the car was moving so the car then acts like a manual shift transmission with a clutch. The lock up part is electrically controlled by the computer to engage at or above a certain mph.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Originally posted by FiberglasMD ...<br>
Loggins,
The torque converter is a fluid coupler that connects the engine to the transmission. Below a certain rpm it will just slip. The motor turns but the wheels don't. Raise the rpm and the car will begin to move. The lock up part was added back when gas mileage was terrible to eliminate the slippage when the car was moving so the car then acts like a manual shift transmission with a clutch. The lock up part is electrically controlled by the computer to engage at or above a certain mph.<br>
Thanks FiberglasMD. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts