Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to unstick the hood on an 87? It won't open. I understand that there's a special tool to use? any idea the best place to get it or can something else be used?

Finally, is there anyone in the Tampa area that would be willing to give a guy a hand with this little operation?

I'll provide the beer/soda & burgers:thumbsup:

Thanks

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Man I have never had to do that before. My hood spends most all it's time up so it can't get stuck.:laughing: If you can get the tool I'd be more than happy to help you figure out how it works.

·
DC Crew
4,823 Posts
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=32206&dept_id=1100

Here's where you can find the tool...I had to order it a couple of months ago when the driver's side cable popped out.

It took me about 20 mins to open the hood the 1st time. Another set of hands and a beer would come in handy, as it takes it while to get it open. Which side is stuck?

·
Banned
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=32206&dept_id=1100

Here's where you can find the tool...I had to order it a couple of months ago when the driver's side cable popped out.

It took me about 20 mins to open the hood the 1st time. Another set of hands and a beer would come in handy, as it takes it while to get it open. Which side is stuck?
Seems both sides now:(:laughing: 1st was just the right, then I reclosed it to try again and now neither one of them will budge!

Thanks for the link to hecklers.

I asked these knuckleheads at the 2 corvette shops in Tampa about the tool or if they sold it and one, the "Corvette Shop" said there was no such thing:rolleyes:

The other guy said he wasn't familiar with it???

I'll look into that and look at the link Viscount sent.

Raid, I'll take you up on that offer just as soon as I get the tools:thumbsup:

Thanks.

Gordon

·
Banned
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the links everyone:thumbsup: Unfortunately, I don't have access to a welder nor do I have the aptitude to weld:(. Maybe one day I'll learn:thumbsup:

In the meantime, for us in the Tampa Bay area, God forbid you should need this, but this place:

http://www.corvetteparts.com/

Davies Corvette Parts in Port Richey has them "in stock" (meaning you can have it now!) and at .04 cheaper than eckers:laughing: Ok, my fuel cost will eat that up:rolling:

Anyway I'm headed up that way now. If anyone finds themselves in this spot in the future, I'll try to keep the tool available:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I posted in a thread a few months ago with pics of how to open the hood with it, so if you cant figure it out after a few mins do a search.
Takes me like 10 secs to pop my hood with it lol

·
Banned
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I posted in a thread a few months ago with pics of how to open the hood with it, so if you cant figure it out after a few mins do a search.
Takes me like 10 secs to pop my hood with it lol
Thanks, Ill look for it:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

Give this a try. Operate the hood release and lift up on the hood at the same time (open the drivers door). See if it works.

Dvetteguy

·
Banned
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello,

Give this a try. Operate the hood release and lift up on the hood at the same time (open the drivers door). See if it works.

Dvetteguy
Therein lies the problem...the hood release is broken:(

Got one side (drivers) to pop but the passengers side is being a PITA!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts